FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Actually, it is my second but the first one was over 30 years ago and other than it being a lutea, I don't remember anything about it.

I just got a Pinguicula emarginata x laueana. It is in a 3 inch pot and came potted with a peat/perlite mixture (there may be some sand in there also). I scraped away the top layer of soil so that I could put a layer of sand so that the perlite will not go everywhere (big bog disaster with my sundews). It is in a bright, southern window in a tray of water. I am considering watering it every couple of days by sitting a couple of ice cubes on the soil or should I just stick with bottom watering? As I said, this is my first ping so any advice would be appreciated.
3516.jpeg
3516.jpeg (340.58 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
By twitcher
Nice choice! In a southern window, I would be concerned about excessive heat during the summer. I would keep it in about 1/2" of water. I'd watch it carefully until you know its safe in that window.
Panman liked this
By Panman
Thanks, Twitcher. It is a southern window but it gets dappled sun through the trees. If anything, I am worried about it not getting enough light.
By Nepenthes0260
Nice looking ping! Lau x emarg makes really nice, dark purple flowers. Mine also clump a lot like emarginata.

I’ve found that my pings seem to appreciate a wet and dry cycle. Keep them much more dry in the winter, but in the summer I fill their try up close to the 1.5” mark (they’re in 3.5” deep pots) and then totally let them dry out for a couple days between “floodings” :lol:.
Panman liked this
By Panman
Thanks, everyone. The other question I have is humidity. It is presently in a humidity dome (aka clear plastic cup). Will it do okay in household humidity?
By Nepenthes0260
Panman wrote:Thanks, everyone. The other question I have is humidity. It is presently in a humidity dome (aka clear plastic cup). Will it do okay in household humidity?
Yeah, I'm sure it will. But while you're acclimating it to household conditions the humidity dome won't hurt.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!