FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Carl
As promised some more picures to share with you.

The first two picture are of my VFT "Yellow" hope you like it

This next plant is one I've grown myself it has no name just a Typical but just for my purpose I call it Peach

I like this one because it crammed

Last one for now and one of my favourite as well as one or two members favourite Red Piranha

Hope you liked? I'll try and post some more later in the week if you would like me to!!!!!!!!!

Carl
By Matt
I love the photos Carl. Keep them coming. I haven't really seen a good photo of a "Yellow" before. Very nice! Also that your "Peach" plant is very cool looking.

I love your 'Red Piranha'. Mine is still a pretty small division, but it has grown quite a bit this summer.

I really love the look of that mass of mouths. They look like big traps too. Excellent photos!
By WORMSS
At least we know there are no insects in that part of your garden :D

Very impressive and varied collection you have :D
Do you ever fear that they will cross pollinate? or do you cut off the flowering stem like is advertised here?
By Carl
I cut off the flower stems and use them to propagate from unless I’m doing my own crosses

Here are some pictures of stem propagation

By Solarin
Very nice propagation photos. Could you elaborate on the method or technique you are using to get these successful starts? How long of a segment did you use? How deep did you place the segments into the soil? Did you use any "Root Tone" or hormones to promote growth? Thank you for sharing the photos with us. Very intriguing!

Best regards,
Curtis
By Carl
Hi Curtis,
The stems are cut about 4-5cm long then just pushed in to the same pot (about 1cm deep) as the parent plant I took the cutting from (just so I know which plant it came from) then after about 6-8 weeks you should start seeing new trap forming. I use no products to promote growth just cut and push. This year I would say I had about a 98% success rate.
Below is a picture of a cutting I took and the flower continued to flower, first time I’ve even seen that happen but still no problem with it shooting.

By WORMSS
This is very educational for me :D with Picture Tutorial It will defiantly make me more confidant about doing it when it comes to my turn :D
I do have a few questions myself, like you say you cut the stem when it was 4-5cm..
but do you wait til the stem is 4-5cm and then cut it at the base.. or do you wait til it say 6-7cm and then cut it 2cm from the base?

Will the flower stem [plant side] still grow? If so, what do you do with it then? keep cutting or just let it grow?
By Solarin
Thanks for the information. I now know what to do with my clipped flower stocks in the spring. Side note to Matt, this reinforces the discussion from:

Flower stalk is growing traps

Post by jensss on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Growers with expensive cultivars may want to expand the collection with this tip.Keep up the great observations and tips. This "Food for Thought" will keep us occupied through winter hibernation.

Best regards,
Curtis
By Carl
Hi Wormss,

I don't work to any set rules sometimes I cut as the stem gets about 5cm and some times I let it grow a bit bigger and the cut the stem in 2 or 3 pieces planting each pieces. I always cut as far down the stem as I can as close to the parent plant as I can get.

Carl
By WORMSS
mlvc2002 wrote:I always cut as far down the stem as I can as close to the parent plant as I can get.
Perfect :D

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!