FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
I know that miracle gro peat moss is deadly for CPs because it has fertilisers. But if it has acidic ph then could you use it if you rinse it until all of the fertilisers are gone? Quick release and slow release ones.
By Barlapipas 6
This includes all enriched acidic peat moss brands
By Intheswamp
How do you tell if all the fertilizer is washed out and gone?
By Intheswamp
Well, I guess that would work. :) But, I get tired just trying to rinse regular, non-fertilized peat moss to below 50ppm. I wonder, is the fertilizer a granular or pellet-type that's added to the peat moss or is it a liquid that is sprayed onto the peat moss? I could see washing away the granular/pellet type but if it is a liquid, spray-on type then that seems problematical.

Are you still having problems acquiring peat moss or are you thinking of using something you already have? I'm not so sure the risk would be worth the reward. :|

https://www.ubuy.com.gr/en/search/?q=peat+moss
https://www.kipogeorgiki.gr/en/Products ... wing-Media
By Barlapipas 6
Is this link for pure non enriched peat moss? And Greek?
By Intheswamp
Both of those are Greek websites, from what I can tell. I'd have to look at each package to be sure no fertilizer is added. I'll go look now. ;)
By Intheswamp
Hmmm, looking at the prices at "Ubuy" they seem pretty high, to me. At least compared to what we pay around here.

The prices on the kipogeorgiki website look much better. They don't provide much, if any info, on added fertilizer, though. I emailed them inquiring about which ones would have no fertilizer added.
By Intheswamp
It seems that "Ubuy" might simply be ordering from the USA and reshipping the peat to people that order it. How much peat moss are you looking at getting? Does Amazon serve Greece?
By Barlapipas 6
I mainly want to plant D.capensis seeds. I will probably give some seedlings or even sell some and I don’t want to worry about the soil so any kind of substrate will be helpful. I might buy one or two new plants in the near future too and they will be planted in big pots of sphagnum like my S.purpurea. All of my plants that are not for donation, trade or selling will be planted in those big pots of sphagnum.
By Intheswamp
Well, I don't know what to tell you. I haven't heard anything from "kipogeorgiki", but if I do I'll pass on to you what they say. I've never been to Greece, but doesn't it have some types of garden and farm supply stores...people garden there, don't they?
By Intheswamp
Btw, did you ever look into pine needles as a substrate...mixed with some perlite or silica sand of some sort?
By evenwind
If you're expecting to do a lot of rinsing anyway, have you looked into coconut coir?
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
evenwind wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:17 pm If you're expecting to do a lot of rinsing anyway, have you looked into coconut coir?
A great idea!!!!!!!

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!