FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
Oh yeah coconut coir! I have heard it is environmentaly safe too unlike peat moss. But how much rinsing does it need? How many gallons of distilled water on average do I need? How do I rinse it?
By evenwind
Personally, I've never tried it (I'm allergic to coconut and didn't want to chance it) but you should be able to find instructions here or on Google. The major problem with coir is salt. What I'd try to do is to rinse it many times with tap water to get rid of the salt and then a couple of times with distilled water to get rid of the TDS from the tap water. But look for other ideas - like I said, I haven't tried it myself.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
First thing that I think I'd do with the coir would be to soak it and get a baseline of the TDS in it. Compare that with the TDS of your tap water. If the coir's TDS is higher (most likely it will be much higher) then use the tap water to rinse with until the TDS of the "coir water" gets down to the tap water's measurement.
*Then* switch over to distilled or rain water for rinsing to get the TDS down from the tap water level. Does that make sense???
evenwind liked this
Not what you would expect...

Nothing to do with the condiment cup/urine sample.[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!