FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By sanguinearocks101
Hello, I want to build my own greenhouse to save money and I have an idea on how to do it but I wanted to ask you guys. Here is what I was thinking.
1. Find an elevated spot in my yard, dig holes for corner posts.
2. Dig trench running from house to greenhouse for power cord.
3. Assemble greenhouse.
4. Lower greenhouse into place.
5. Hook up power.
6. Cover greenhouse with special covering.

I know this is a lot easier said than done, but I'm willing to do it for my plants :D . Please let me know if you have any advice or corrections for me.
By Fly Trap Hunter
check out greenhousesuperstore.com first, where do you live? i am in zone 8 with moderate freezing and 100F in summer - generally speaking.
I dont need a green house because they can stay outside in the sun all the time. a green house might be practical for the winter, but if you dont have controlled air, I think they would bake "here" in a green house. so what zone do you live in?
By Fly Trap Hunter
freezing in 6b is -5 to 0 average lowest temp. thats a bit cold for fly traps outside. a green house would help but you can also store them in a heated garage or in a sunny window over the winter. i quickly collected a bunch of fly traps so i really wasnt ready with a green house and i just couldnt bring them all in during winter storm Greyson and i lost over 100 fly traps. i think they can handle moderate freezing to high 20s but i dont know about colder than that. Fieldofscreams lives up north. i think a green house is a good idea for the winter, but in the summer i would let the sunlight touch the leaves somehow.
By Nepenthes0260
I live in zone 6b and grow a year-round greenhouse with neps. Your plan sounds pretty good. Make sure that if you plan to heat it year-round that you bubble-wrap insulate it. Otherwise it will cost a fortune to heat. Also, even though neps are bright-light plants, you'll still want a light shade cloth in the summer to prevent sunburn and overheating. Last tip, you will definitely want water hooked up to the greenhouse. Trust me, you don't want to lug five-gallon buckets of water up there in the winter lol. Hope these tips helped!
By Jeeper
I may be starting this endeavor this summer as well...

I'm in 4B/3A territory and it gets cooooold here, but we can still see 100 degrees in the summer. I'm still debating on locations and how exactly I'm going to do it. I'll follow this thread and see where you go...

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!