FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By ArowanaLover1902
To be honest, luck is part of it, that and a ton of research on it. I spent soooo long trying to find out how to keep the tank cool before arriving on PC fans (a method I'm only party pleased with that, I want a more dramatic drop at night, which I think I've figured out) and that zoomed hygrometer.
By Rammplins
I looked up that meter on amazon. it looks amazing, says it can do nighttime drops and everything, but how easy is it to program everything in and how accurate is it? And what are you using now instead of the fans, or are you just repositioning them?

Also on a side note saw veiled chameleons in a pet supplies plus, and they seemed to be the right size. Just about the size of a chubby finger. Didn't look anything up yet though, Did you find anything good on the chameleon forum?

Lol, just looked them up. I guess those were babies, veiled gets big
By ArowanaLover1902
Yeah, I thought about them initially, they always look so small, but ha ha ha they get massive. I've got a new idea for chameleon, he's going to have a seperate lack of enclosure, he's going to be free range in my room. They don't go far, they like their trees. I've bought a larger fan, which will be used only for nightime drops, its big, maybe 5 inch diameter, I've yet to determine how to position it so that it doesn't blow over plants though, I might put it at the end of a PVC pipe that is of a similiar size and funnel it down so it only has a 1 inch opening into the terrarium. Also, other news, the terrarium now houses an anole, who is happily laying on my hanging orchid, as well as the banana tree under the fan.
By Fishkeeper
Good call on keeping the chameleon separately, but I really don't think free ranging is a good idea. Very few reptiles do well long-term as free-range animals in a house. It might walk onto the floor where it could be stepped on, and I think it would be hard to keep it as damp as they like, plus it's in danger from any other pets you might have and it might come into contact with something toxic. Get a mesh enclosure, it's the safest option.

The anole sounds like a good choice, any pics? Is it a native species or something from a pet store?
By ArowanaLover1902
Apparently, from what I've heard and, in some cases, seen, chameleons do very well with free range. The room it would be in would just have my parrots (caged), my bed, my fish, and my plants, plus some furniture. No hazards are around for him or the parrots, who sometimes come out. The anole is just a wild caught Green Anole. Ill post pics later.
By ArowanaLover1902
Well the multimeter is broke, I haven''t been able to hook up my fan, honestly, I'm still determining how I want to mount it, its so large it's breeze will be a lot. All the plants are doing great without it though, the bicarlarta pitchers still haven't developed that fanged look yet, I'm not happy about that. I added a few more lily of the nile plants too, as well as some orchids. The terrarium is looking great, my new favorite addition is a mounted orchid growing sideways that shades some of the plants, plus the lizards love to sunbathe on it.
By Rammplins
Hmmmm, I was thinking about buying one of the zoomed meters. but some reviews said that the humidity monitor stops working among other things, others said it worked perfectly. I guess this puts that question to bed.
By ArowanaLover1902
Yeah for me it works fine, its a little hard to understand since it reads in relative humidity instead of actual, it also doesn't count above 95 for some reason. I haven't tested its function of running a fan, but if I use a transformer it will work with a smaller unit (12 volts), and if I use a larger fan, which I probably won't unless I use the PVC adapter to keep the breeze from knocking over plants, I'd also like to run it through some type of cooling mechanism later, maybe a chiller or peltier element type cooler, hey maybe the fridge will break down and I'll just take the peltier from that, that'd be nice ha ha ha. But if I had another mechanism it could be hard to connect all of that to the Zoomed.
By Rammplins
oh man. haven't played with a peltier since my eighth grade science fair. I forgot all about those things and how awesome they are, you would have no nighttime drop problems with the one from the fridge....but you might need an ice scraper lol.
By ArowanaLover1902
Really? I'd love to know a bit more about them. I don't really understand them. Can you tell me a bit about them. I feel like it would be an awesome way to achieve a nightime drop.
By Rammplins
I forget exactly how they work, im gonna look them up later. But i know when a charge is run though them one side heats up as it draws the heat from the opposite side, causing the other side to cool. The more power you put in the greater the effect, but with diminishing returns. Also they have a maximum amparage that depends on the size of the peltier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By ArowanaLover1902
Here is my idea for a working peltier cooler. There would be some modifications especially if the heatsink isn't necessary
Attachments:
PeltierElementInput.png
PeltierElementInput.png (65.39 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
PeltierElementCoolingUnit.png
PeltierElementCoolingUnit.png (27.28 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
By Rammplins
Thats a good looking plan. All i would say is that you just might want to use another heat sink on the cold side instead of water, water takes alot of energy to heat/cool, plus the heat sink will chill faster than the water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By ArowanaLover1902
Yeah I redesigned to allow for that, I'm going to use dual PC fans to draw heat off of the heat heatsink and swap the water heatsink for a solid one, maybe copper or aluminum. I've also decided to add a delay switch on the peltier so it doesn't burn itself up.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!