FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
Hello everyone. I'm trying to set up a lowland tank and am having trouble with the temp. I have a seedling mat under the tank for heat but am only getting it to 70F. Any tips and trick would be appreciated.
By Nepenthes0260
I saw no one answering this post so I thought I might have some tips, although I don't have a lowland setup yet.

Buy a Walmart humidifier. Much to my dismay, this heats up the water that it turns into mist to put it in my highland growth tanks. It in total heats it up a few degrees.

Buy an aquarium heater. I think if you put this in a small layer of water and placed it horizontally at the bottom of the tank it would humidify it and heat it up a little too.

Use a heat lamp. I dont know if this would work, but the combination of an ultra-violet heat lamp and a heat pad get my reptile tanks up to about 95 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hope this helps!
Nepenthes0260
By Hungry Plants
Thanks for the reply. Iv thought about a fish tank heater just wanted to see what the lowland people here use. I'm at 90% humidity so the humidifier is a bit redundant at this point.
By Nepenthes0260
Yeah, the humidifier would not be wort its $30 or so dollars. How do you keep your growth chamber so humid? I have trouble keeping mine above 85
By Hungry Plants
I put about an inch and a half of those clay ball in the bottom with some egg crate on top. Then just add water. The balls will absorb water and wick it to the air.
By Shadowtski
Have you considered adding a fluorescent light fixture to your setup?
You could use it as a main light or control it with a thermostat for auxiliary daytime light.

T5s are notorious for producing heat as well as light but T8s also produce a fair amount of heat.

Good growing,
Mike
By Hungry Plants
Shadowtski wrote:Have you considered adding a fluorescent light fixture to your setup?
You could use it as a main light or control it with a thermostat for auxiliary daytime light.

T5s are notorious for producing heat as well as light but T8s also produce a fair amount of heat.

Good growing,
Mike
I could get some old school compact or some screw in bulbs. probably two of them. Iv also thought of a ceramic heater used for reptiles but they are expensive and suck up a lot of juice.
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!