FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Hello all,

I was going to buy some white Yescom 225's yesterday but Amazon, eBay etc. all marked them as 'unavailable'. That meant they probably discontinued the 'White' LED model of their 225's, which left me to just buy the red/blue colored model(which will probably make the plants in my indoor setup grow better than white). Just wanted to acknowledge this to fellow CP growers who want to buy yescom lights.
By NightRaider
I'd be more inclined to say it's just out of stock for now (or some undefined period of time) due to supply chain issues. I can't imagine they'd completely discontinue only a single model, and likely their best selling one at that. Of course it's not like I've been in contact with them or anything to know for sure, but taking the current state of electronics production into consideration that's what I'd imagine is likely the case. Either way I need some more in the very near future too so I'll be watching closely lol.
Supercazzola liked this
By MaxVft
NightRaider wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:39 pm I'd be more inclined to say it's just out of stock for now (or some undefined period of time) due to supply chain issues. I can't imagine they'd completely discontinue only a single model, and likely their best selling one at that. Of course it's not like I've been in contact with them or anything to know for sure, but taking the current state of electronics production into consideration that's what I'd imagine is likely the case. Either way I need some more in the very near future too so I'll be watching closely lol.

..idk. If they were having such a hard time manufacturing grow lights due to electronics, they would probably mark all of their models/colors as 'unavailable'. Plus, Amazon never marked them as 'Out of stock', it just said it was unavailable and may no longer be for sale on Amazon's website. But I am the same as you, these are all just educated guesses. I guess we'll never know, lol :lol:

PS you said you need to buy some soon, just don't stress it and buy the red/blue option. It will probably be much better than white anyways(other than that ugly purple look).
By NightRaider
It could just be they're having a hard time sourcing the white leds specifically due to demand, but again whether they come back or not we may never know what the issue is. And I actually have 2 of both white and red/blue already, and just decided to go with white for the big germination/overwinter nepenthes rack I was going to put together soon. Worst case I'll just grab some more Spider Farmer sf-300s like I have for my highland terrarium since they're only another $10 over what a couple yescoms would be, but I've pretty much decided not to go with blurple for this one since it'll have to be in a common living area and it's extremely hard to see seedlings under that color light. In any event I'm hoping they'll be back soon, but if not I have a fallback at least.
MaxVft liked this
By Apollyon
For sure. Yescoms are popular in this community, especially with cheap indoor growing. I imagine the supply chain did get devastated but I don't believe they'd kill off one of their best sellers. Thanks for the heads up
MaxVft liked this
By elaineo
There are lots of cheap growlights that are more or less identical, manufactured in China and sold under different names on Amazon. If you buy them you'll see they all have the same driver on the back of the board. Eg Yescom equivalent https://www.amazon.com/SERWING-Spectrum ... B08SBW9B2G

LEDs are dirt cheap. The expensive part is the LED driver, which is what makes something like a Mars Hydro cost so much more than a Yescom.
MaxVft, Supercazzola liked this
By NightRaider
I expect you all might've already heard, but the white panels did in fact come back in stock on Amazon for a few days last week before going back out of stock indefinitely again, but as of right now they appear to be in stock again. So it seems like they definitely aren't discontinued, just labeled as OOS indefinitely when they do run out temporarily for whatever reason.
Supercazzola liked this
By TrapsAndDews
Since the the white Yescom lights are out of stock, what are some other Yescom light colors you could get? I saw there are purple ones, however, they have multicolor ones (blue, red, orange, white) and just red/blue ones. Which ones are better (higher ppfd) the multicolor or the red/blue?
By NightRaider
I don't know if there's a meaningful difference in ppfd for the different colors or not, but most people seem to use the blue/white as a substitute when the whites are out of stock. I don't have any of those yet since I'm just waiting on whites rn, but I do have a couple red/blues (purple) which seem to work just as well as the whites. Only issues with them really are that the color is off-putting to a lot of people and they make it nearly impossible to tell what the plants actually look like coloration-wise.
By Apollyon
I have a couple white blue panels I bought last time there was a shortage on the whites and honestly I don't see a major difference. the plants underneath the lights seem to be growing at a similar rate to all white. the lighting itself is similar too so you don't need to worry about any odd blue tint. if there's a difference it seems minimal
By TrapsAndDews
So there's no difference between multicolor and blue/red?

It says that the multicolor has 47 blue, 77 red, 77 orange, and 24 white. The blue/red has 60 blue and 165 red. The multicolor is cheaper than the red/blue. I'm just trying to figure out which one to get, the multicolor or blue/red.
By NightRaider
TrapsAndDews wrote:So there's no difference between multicolor and blue/red?

It says that the multicolor has 47 blue, 77 red, 77 orange, and 24 white. The blue/red has 60 blue and 165 red. The multicolor is cheaper than the red/blue. I'm just trying to figure out which one to get, the multicolor or blue/red.
I found the different spectrum charts, and they really doesn't seem to show much difference between multicolor and blue/red other than the multi having a little more blue and a small amount of green/yellow/orange, however they are significantly different than the white which a decent amount of green/yellow/red. Also if it matters to you, the b/r claims an 18w draw while the multicolor is rated at 27.5w. What I can't tell you is what that means for the plants. The weed people have that down to a science, but I haven't spent much time looking at their stuff. Also, I don't know how much this may even matter to you now though since white is back in stock and every color is the same price other than multicolor being very slightly cheaper.
Anyway, my non-expert conclusion is that the multicolor would likely be fine, especially after I saw the blue/white had basically nothing outside of a peak at blue, but that comes at the cost of slightly more energy usage and the purple color that can make it hard to accurately observe your plants. Also, I included a chart on blue/red lighting from carnivorousplants.org which might be helpful.
Attachments:
White.PNG
White.PNG (21.74 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
BlueRed.PNG
BlueRed.PNG (22.51 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
Multicolor.PNG
Multicolor.PNG (51.74 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
LightingChart.PNG
LightingChart.PNG (44.18 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
elaineo liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!