FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Garden_Nymph
Hello, I am currently growing VFTs and Sundews together. I also have a nep as well. They are currently all growing in Sphagnum moss. However my usual brand isnt avail and so I am at the point of either finding another brand or switching them to peat or something. What do you all think? I am on a budget so I can't go too spendy.
By optique
As far as the VFTs and Sundew's peat should work just fine. I go with the 4cf bags of "black and gold" peat from ACE.
Garden_Nymph liked this
By Garden_Nymph
Thank you. I will keep Lady Luck in her LFSM and will switch the others over. What should the peat/perlite ratio be?
By Sundews69
California Carnivores does a 4/1 ratio of peat/perlite, but 50/50 is cheaper and I think it works better
Garden_Nymph liked this
By Garden_Nymph
awesome. I dont have a lot of plants just yet so looking at an 8 qt bag of the black gold peat and an 8 qt bag of miracle grow perlite to make 16 qts. I think that will be plenty for me at this point,
By Intheswamp
In case you didn't hear Sundews69...NO MIRACLE GRO!!!!!!! It seems that Scott's may also have fertilizers in it. You don't want fertilizer!

Just say "NO!" to Miracle-Gro!!!!! ;)
Sundews69, Garden_Nymph liked this
By Sundews69
I use vigoro perlite and Hoffman peat moss from Amazon.
Garden_Nymph liked this
By za419
Garden_Nymph wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:21 pm OMG I knew no fertilizer but even their perlite has it? goodness! ok ty!
Their perlite has some fertilizer, but if you look at it the amount is an absolutely pathetic "Why even bother" sort of level.

So... It's not really good for the plants, but it's not so bad that it'll be killing them or harming them too badly, if it's the only thing that has that sort of impurity in your pot. It'll just thin the margin you have before the plant starts suffering by a little bit.

Still, if you can avoid using Miracle Grow perlite, you should.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!