FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
This moss just started growing in one of my pots. That whole thing was no there before. I'm wondering if this is live sphagnum moss, and if it is, how did it start growing since moss is dehydrated when it gets packaged?
Attachments:
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG (914.76 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
By za419
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:07 pm This moss just started growing in one of my pots. That whole thing was no there before. I'm wondering if this is live sphagnum moss, and if it is, how did it start growing since moss is dehydrated when it gets packaged?
It looks like living moss.

Sphagnum is one of those plants that's not great at understanding the idea that it's supposed to be mortal... When it dries out, especially if it dries slowly, it goes dormant, so sometimes moss that hasn't been dried too thoroughly or for too long will just instantly come back once it gets rehydrated.

Somewhat more often, there are some spores left over on the moss after it dries, and they germinate and grow after we start using the dried parent strands as media. Although that piece isn't a juvenile strand...

This is something that, while it doesn't happen every time, is known to happen - People often buy Besgrow LFS as a cheap way to try and start a culture of live moss, because it's high quality and known to resurrect somewhat often.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By MikeB
TrapsAndDews wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:51 am Maybe I'll be able to propagate more over time. :mrgreen:
FYI - If you want a starter culture of live sphagnum moss, I still have plenty for sale at a good price.

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!