FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote:
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:32 pm Yeah, but sometimes they interrupt us when we've got that article in the Enquirer that we've been keen on readin'....
Especially the issue that has Batboy, alien babies, the Loch Ness Monster, and an interview with Bigfoot (he's actually an interdimensional hide and seek champion) all in one.
The only true stories they ever printed was of Elvis still being alive...I know for a fact he was boiling crawfish under a tarp in Mobile, Alabama in 1983 (we were getting a bite to eat during Joe Cain Day!!!!) Had put on a good bit of weight but seemed happy (like everybody else that day). So *sometimes* those gossip rags actually printed the truth!!!
By ChefDean
Naw! It was explained by Agent K succinctly in the documentary titled "Men In Black". Elvis is an alien, he just went home.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
thepitchergrower wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:06 am
Panman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:26 am It was a homeless person who died and his body was dessicated somehow. What are the odds?
Yikes. :? Wouldn't want to be the person to discover that...
In this situation it's definitely better to be the discoverer, rather than the discovered! :shock:

Panman, that's some longshot odds of that happening. Did ya'll buy any lottery tickets after hearing the news?
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:43 pm Naw! It was explained by Agent K succinctly in the documentary titled "Men In Black". Elvis is an alien, he just went home.
Nah, it was Elvis. Nobody else weighing 300 pounds could possibly get away with wearing penny loafters and sequins. Besides when he pulled the crawfish outa the boil we thought he had a hip problem or something but then we realized it was an intentional gyration. :o
ChefDean liked this
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:14 pm
ChefDean wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:02 pm
cyneats wrote:Love reading this thread for all the helpful tips! But you had me cracking up at NY being near the North Pole and TN being a "Northern" state
Well, you know, some parts of the country are still reeling at the technological advances of electricity, indoor outhouses, and horseless carriages, but they draw the line at the thought of flying machines. Witchcraft!
Wait a minute... you mean ya'll have your toilets in the house!!!!????? Is it a two-holer or a three-holer?? I had a buddy of mine down in Gold Hill (just north of Gulf Shores) and he had a 3-holer in his backyard...very nice! Even had the slide out "catch drawer" for easy clean-up!!!! :mrgreen:
Gulf Shores, aye? One of my favorite vacation places! We went last November and it was wonderful. Actually, on that same trip, I got my first CPs! (Minus the grocery store Sarracenia and vfts).
By Intheswamp
I haven’t been to the beaches in several years. I do remember when gulf shores had a hotel or three, the state “resort” and the fishing pier. I suspect it has been heavily commercialized since then. In later years my favorite area has been around Appalachicola. The waves are always good for you spirit…I don’t particularly care for the sun and sand, though. ;)
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:10 pm Where did you go to see the pitcher plants?
I'm 99.9% sure it was Weeks Bay Pitcher Plant Bog
https://www.outdooralabama.com/weeks-ba ... -plant-bog

It was about a 45 minute drive I think.

There were also some Drosera if you look very closely. It took me forever to find them, but they're definitely there. I was still a noob back then so I don't know which species they were. My best guess is capillaris.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Cool. There's a few bogs further north, too. There used to be a big bog along I-65 north of Mobile. I think it must be a preserve because a buddy of mine that lived down that way said they had annual burns there. He and I are going to take a road trip soon and visit some of the bogs. I know a couple of folks in the areas of interest that I'm going to check with, too. :)
By Intheswamp
Ok. My sundew learning curve just got a spike in it.

I found out that d. Intermedia seeds need stratification, which I didn’t do.

I could just take the pots, there's two of them...one covered and one not covered, and plop them in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. The problem is that I planted them in with some spat seeds so it’s either put the pots in the refrigerator and figure the spats are toast(?) or leave them as they are and forget the intermedia seeds.

I have some other spat seeds from a different source germinating so I would still have spats sprout if I do put the pots with the intermedia seeds in the refrigerator. Or, I have more intermedia seeds (I saved some) that I could sow and put in the refrigerator for stratification...and let the pots with the spats in them continue on as they are. I think what I'm going to do is plant another pot with Intermedia seeds in it and stick it in the refrigerator...and, if some of the intermedia seeds do germinate without me stratifying them they'll just be gravy. :D

Anybody got any thoughts on this?
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:33 pm Ok. My sundew learning curve just got a spike in it.

I found out that d. Intermedia seeds need stratification, which I didn’t do.

I could just take the pots, there's two of them...one covered and one not covered, and plop them in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. The problem is that I planted them in with some spat seeds so it’s either put the pots in the refrigerator and figure the spats are toast(?) or leave them as they are and forget the intermedia seeds.

I have some other spat seeds from a different source germinating so I would still have spats sprout if I do put the pots with the intermedia seeds in the refrigerator. Or, I have more intermedia seeds (I saved some) that I could sow and put in the refrigerator for stratification...and let the pots with the spats in them continue on as they are. I think what I'm going to do is plant another pot with Intermedia seeds in it and stick it in the refrigerator...and, if some of the intermedia seeds do germinate without me stratifying them they'll just be gravy. :D

Anybody got any thoughts on this?
Don't put the intermedia in the fridge! You have a tropical form.
By thepitchergrower
Drosera intermedia comes in both tropical and temperate forms. The brazilian (YOURS INCLUDED) ones are tropical. I believe that is why Evenwind sent you those, because they are an easy sow and grow species. http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/dros ... undew.html
Sundews69 liked this
Not what you would expect...

One more bump here and I'll reveal the big secret![…]

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!