FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By pinflowcp
Hi Ya'll,

I think I may have kept my N. jamban a little too moist. I let sphagnum moss encroach high around the stem of this plant. I trimmed the moss and discovered that the stem had gone black. Its latest leaf does not look healthy either. Is there any chance of salvaging the plant?

This plant is in 80+ humidity with day/night temps of 75f/60-58F 5 out of 7 days of the week. Plants in the same conditions that did not have moss don't have a blackened stem.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions. Thanks!
Attachments:
jamban1.jpg
jamban1.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 1334 times
jamban2.jpg
jamban2.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 1334 times
jamban3.jpg
jamban3.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 1334 times
By Camden
I don’t think you have stem rot there. If you look up nepenthes Glabrata, its stem is as dark as yours and encroaches higher up on the plant. Referring to the shrinking leafs, I think it may be over exposure to light (though I could be wrong).
By pinflowcp
I noticed some black pocking out of the moss maybe about a month ago. I didn't think much of it until the new wrinkly leaf popped out. It's never pitchered for me.

I'm willing to let it slide in slightly less humidity. I suppose that if it continues to decline I could cut the healthy growth and root it?

Thanks a ton!
Camden liked this
By Nocturne
Cutting usually do more harm than good. It looks fine to me, give it time and don’t expect every leaf to look perfect or even pitcher for a while. Jamban can take some good fluctuations in humidity and temp, The rooted cutting has a similar stem color as yours. Image
By pinflowcp
Thanks for the tip!

That is a nice-looking specimen! That is coooooooold though! I had no idea they could tolerate going that low. Are you growing yours in a fridge?

Here is mine for comparison:
Attachments:
IMG_2194.jpg
IMG_2194.jpg (312.55 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
By Nocturne
Grow mine outside on balcony so don’t really have control over temp and have to work hard on humidity.
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!