FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
Do those bumps/leaves in the middle look like my intermedia is forming a hibernaculum? The plant is almost 1 inch across. I have noticed that this appears to be happening to my other intermedia too. All my plants are indoors, and I have been gradually reducing the photoperiod so that now they're receiving 9 hours of light.
Attachments:
IMG_015.JPG
IMG_015.JPG (145.4 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
By Intheswamp
I asked a similar question about some "brevifolia" that magically turned into "capillaris".<grin> @Nepenthes0260 came to my rescue. Here's a quote of his response regarding the translucent hairs (stipules): "Those translucent "hairs" at the base of the leaf are stipules, leaflike projections near the attachment point of the petiole. " I looked it up on google and found plenty of explanations for it...I've found that they may be a protection for new, young growth points as they form...leaves, gemmae,...

My brevifolia capillaris photo that Nepenthes0260 commented on:
By TrapsAndDews
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:54 pm I asked a similar question about some "brevifolia" that magically turned into "capillaris".<grin> @Nepenthes0260 came to my rescue. Here's a quote of his response regarding the translucent hairs (stipules): "Those translucent "hairs" at the base of the leaf are stipules, leaflike projections near the attachment point of the petiole. " I looked it up on google and found plenty of explanations for it...I've found that they may be a protection for new, young growth points as they form...leaves, gemmae,...

My brevifolia capillaris photo that Nepenthes0260 commented on:
Sorry, the picture isn't very clear. I was talking about the things inside the stipules. It's a little hard to see. I probably should've specified what I was talking about.
By TrapsAndDews
Bluefire wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:17 pm The small reddish green nubs hidden under the stipules sure look like a hibernaculum.
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:37 pm It looks like it is just starting to go dormant.
That's what I was hoping for. It would also explain why the intermedia leaves are starting to die off. (I thought the plants were dying.)

The reason I was asking is I've trying to see what would happen if I started lowering the photoperiod for all my plants but keeping the temperature the same. So far, it appears that my Maroon Monster is already dormant. Some other flytraps appear to be going dormant too. My 'Dreamsicle' is starting to form a hibernaculum too, but there are still no signs of the tracii going dormant.
By Sundews69
Yeah, they'll survive. In the wild they can be smaller than that and have cold winters, not just shortened photo period. Beware the mice (or as I like to say, cellar demons) though, they ate all my temperate dews :evil: . I'm kinda trying that with slightly cooler temps, but it doesn't seem to be working so far
By Intheswamp
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:32 pmSorry, the picture isn't very clear. I was talking about the things inside the stipules. It's a little hard to see. I probably should've specified what I was talking about.
My bad, you did say "bumps" in your original post. I guess my reading comprehension could use a little work, eh? ;) I see the bumps you mentioned...could be a hibernaculum, but I'm no expert. I had a pot full of intermedia that suddenly seemed to just shut down. They were from 1" to 1-1/2". All leaves died down with hopefully what is a hibernaculum but they are *very* dark colored. It seems odd, too, that this happened before really cold weather started coming around....only a change in the photoperiod. I just hope they're still alive. :? Best wishes with yours! :D
By Intheswamp
Here's some shots of my intermedia pot. These started off as tiny seedlings in the middle of the summer. They love full sun and WET media...or at least here in our south Alabama summer heat they do. These started looking "ragged" before it ever started getting cold. By the time it actually got a bit cool the pot looked like somebody had taken a flamethrower to it...the only live-looking plants was the utricularia subulata and a very *few* sprigs of intermedia. I guess the shortening photoperiod sent them off to hibernate. It sure happened fast! I will give a sigh of relief this spring when I seen them sprouting back out! :?
Attachments:
IMG_6659 (Custom) (2).JPG
IMG_6659 (Custom) (2).JPG (614.22 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
IMG_6648 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6648 (Custom).JPG (339.73 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
IMG_6647 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6647 (Custom).JPG (332.29 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Panman
They look like they are sleeping nicely. You can give them a little push to make them have good contact with the soil.
Intheswamp liked this
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!