FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I've been growing these hitchhiker sundews that came with one of my B52s since last summer, and they've been doing great, they're always under 14 hours of YESCOM 225 growlights. Planted in LFSM, watered with 5 ppm dehumidifier water in a tray. They used to be seedlings, and are now finally turning into real plants. I've moved them this year from their original small pot into a bigger one with fresh LFSM, since the old one was getting gunky.

However, it's now Fall and it's getting colder even inside my house (usually around 68 degrees, 40-50% humidity) here in Georgia, and I noticed that these young sundews are starting to lose a lot of leaves and look kind of rough.

Anything I can do? Or do they just look horrible when acclimating to colder conditions?

By StephenB200+
I’ve got some intermedia plantlets started from leaf trimmings earlier this year. They’re doing the same and under similar conditions to yours. I am hoping that they’re closing up shop for the season rather than expiring.
Nikson liked this
By ChefDean
Capensis? Mine usually slow down this time of year too. My mature ones are stalling, except for one, and my seedlings that were outside are showing signs of slowing after a couple of weeks inside.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
ChefDean wrote:Capensis? Mine usually slow down this time of year too. My mature ones are stalling, except for one, and my seedlings that were outside are showing signs of slowing after a couple of weeks inside.
Yeah, capensis! They just look so horrible right now despite thriving all year long under my indoor growlights. They were like twice the size of what they are now.

Hope they pick up again once summer rolls around.
By optique
68f is perfect for a cape. My sun room gets much colder at night but heats the house in the day, my capes grow like crazy. I suggest squeezing the spag and testing the tds of whats comes out. The TDS from the dehumidifier is likely all metals and require flushing every so often.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
optique wrote:68f is perfect for a cape. My sun room gets much colder at night but heats the house in the day, my capes grow like crazy. I suggest squeezing the spag and testing the tds of whats comes out. The TDS from the dehumidifier is likely all metals and require flushing every so often.
optique wrote:68f is perfect for a cape. My sun room gets much colder at night but heats the house in the day, my capes grow like crazy. I suggest squeezing the spag and testing the tds of whats comes out. The TDS from the dehumidifier is likely all metals and require flushing every so often.
I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I guess I just wait for the spag to get a little dryer and just water from the top until water comes out the bottom?
By optique
I use rain water on my inside cp's with a zerowater backup. Even then my pots are sitting on top of plastic jar lids in the treys acting as a spacer so when i over water it is not wicked back into the media.
By Nikson
Just repotted all my problem plants into fresh new peat moss.

I squeezed out all the LFSM and tested it with my TDS meter and it read 15, so I'm not sure why the plants are doing so poorly honestly. Maybe the LFSM was just broken down and low quality?

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!