FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

My cape sundew was growing very poorly outside due to the heat, as I've posted here before last time, so I moved it in about a month ago. It looks like its recovering, but so far its been growing really weird, tiny leaves. Is that normal? Is it basically just growing into a new plant at this point after being heat shocked?

Also I have a second, smaller cape sundew that I've only ever grown indoors. It's been doing fine, but recently the traps seem to all be curling "backwards", which is kind of weird, especially the new growth.

Both plants are of course bottom watered with distilled water and are under Yescom 225 growlights, and its around 45-50% humidity and 77 degrees inside my house.
By Panman
They look like they are recovering. It will take a few weeks to start acting normal again.
Camden, Nikson liked this
By ChefDean
Yup, normal recovery.
All my Capes are doing the same thing after I had them outside and it got hot too fast. It's been a couple of months, and they are just pulling out now. The Mini Red is actually the first to do better, it's curling around flies again.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Carnies wrote:Are you misting the leaves? Cape sundews don't like to be misted, but if not patience will do it's thing.
Nope, I just leave them under my Yescom 225 growlights and a tray of distilled water.

It's so weird, it used to be a big, beautiful plant but after I put it outside during the summer, it burned up, and then I took it back inside and it turned like this instead of putting out regular traps.
By Nikson
My cape sundew is still doing pretty poorly, it's putting out new growth but it's really stunted and doesn't look all that great. It's been over a month and it's still looking really.....stumpy. No new traps, just really shrivelled stuff.

Still growing under my indoor Yescom 225s, around 55% humidity and 75-80 degrees. The rest of the cape sundews and spatulatas nearby are thriving and growing super well, but this one just doesn't seem to want to recover. Should I repot it into LFSM or something? Currently it's just in peat moss/perlite with a layer of LFSM on the top.

By Nikson
New update on the cape sundew. I repotted it into pure LFSM and just got it out of its old medium, since I feel like something was just not going right.

Seems to be working a little, I see a few new traps coming out, and it's even putting out a flower. Although I think I should cut the flower so that it dedicates all its energy into growing leaves?

By Hendre
In the wild, the first seeds after recovery from floods/cold are really odd looking. I have seen one like an octopus:
Capturecapensis.PNG
Capturecapensis.PNG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2531 times

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!