FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By BxndiTSold
Every time I see them I feel bad and like I need to help them,, especially these two today, they were in th dark at an actual NURSERY! With PLASTIC COVERS, the 2 that I got were the best looking ones there, all the others were sad, dry, dark, and wilting, it's sad that nowhere is educated on these amazing plants, if only people knew how to care for ops like they do flowers and vegetables..., then we would be able to preserve and cultivate more of these amazing plants. Instead they're sold half dead and for 13$
Attachments:
IMG_5938.jpeg
IMG_5938.jpeg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 2927 times
IMG_5937.jpeg
IMG_5937.jpeg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 2927 times
By ChefDean
The sellers of those plants don't want educated buyers.
If they are knowledgeable about how to properly care for them, the sellers only make one sale.
If the buyer doesn't know how to care for it, they'll likely kill it, and possibly buy another. And another. And another.
By BxndiTSold
Hm that’s interesting, you’d think that they’d wanna sell more quality plants because if people get one and it dies they probably wont want another one!
By Camden
People view them as pets/decorations. Once it dies, just buy another! Of course there are those few who actually want to care for them. They kill one and get discouraged, not touching them or they do the research and end up here or somewhere else.
By DragonsEye
Really no different than the orchids one sees in BBSs. Many folks view them as disposable decorations to be enjoyed while in bloom then tossed.
By Bluefire
DragonsEye wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:55 pm Really no different than the orchids one sees in BBSs. Many folks view them as disposable decorations to be enjoyed while in bloom then tossed.
I had a neighbor who did exactly that with those orchids, bought them, let them bloom, then tossed them right after. I tried to save them, but one succumbed to rot (she overwatered it and it could not be saved). The other lived and is still alive, albeit a bit sad from lack of light and water (whoops).
By BxndiTSold
We currently have a nice sized orchid! I did some research before purchasing it though 🤣they’re expensive!
By DragonsEye
BxndiTSold wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:38 am We currently have a nice sized orchid! I did some research before purchasing it though 🤣they’re expensive!
Those who use them as disposable decorations would say otherwise ...and, while I do find the viewpoint rather abhorant, they do have a point. If you consider how expensive a bouquet of cut flowers is ( and how short time those last), phalanopsis flowers which can last for months are actually far cheaper by comparison.
By MikeB
You'd think that people who run a plant nursery would know better. If you're unfamiliar with a particular plant, go online and look up the care requirements before you order a shipment. If you can't give the plants the care that they need to thrive before they're sold, then don't order them. Some people are just greedy/lazy/willfully stupid....
By BxndiTSold
Exactly! It’s their job to know how to care for the plants they offer in the public yet just like every hardware store I’ve been to the cps are on a shelf somewhere in the dark when they have WHOLE greenhouses in and outside of literally anything you can think of! But the cps are inside in a plastic 3”pot with a cover on top, it’s crazy!
By Intheswamp
I saw these today at Walmart. They were sitting inside the outdoor plant area on the second shelf down. Definitely no direct sun...better than a bottom shelf inside the store...I guess. :roll: The first thing that came to mind was..."death row".
Attachments:
IMG_9159 (Custom).JPG
IMG_9159 (Custom).JPG (182.31 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
IMG_9158 (Custom).JPG
IMG_9158 (Custom).JPG (302.4 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
By Bluefire
I went to a plant nursery the other day and they kept their succulents inside a humid, shady greenhouse. In Arizona. Where cacti and succulents live outdoors, in the sun. The succulents in the greenhouse were light starved, suffering from root rot in compacted, wet soil, and some had fungal infections all over. It was truly tragic.
By Intheswamp
I asked a "manager" at a Lowe's about buying a flat of flytraps that were on death's doorstep at a deep discount. He wasted a bit of my time (I don't think he really knew what he was doing) and finally told me that they wouldn't discount them, that they would let the vendor pick them up for credit. And we wonder why lots of the small companies struggle to make it...
By Gary
I wish the nurseries here (central AZ) would carry CPs, other than the death cubes VFTs at Lowe's. My father-in-law told me he used to buy VFTs at grocery stores many years back but they always died after a couple of weeks. He thought more tap water would help, so he drenched them. The poor plants never had a chance.
Camden, Intheswamp liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!