FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By BumpyEvergreen
In broken arrow oklahoma

I live in zone 7 i know how to grow my plants but dont think sundews will appreciate the scorching heat, i know that i want sarracenia flava and purpurea purpurea but the more cold tolerant something is usually the less heat tolerant it is, so with both of my extremes summers constant 100 f and winters 20 f to 40 f i would like the experts opinions i was thinking about drosera intermedia or drosera filiformis and if those dont work just a capensis or spatulata with typical vfts i have a wide pot 18 inches across 8 inches tall with no holes on the bottom but instead holes halfway up the side of the pot with peat and perlite with a top dressing of sphagnum with sarracenia rubra in the pot as well

That is my plan
By Huntsmanshorn
My two cents: An 18 inch pot is very small for a bog, so forget the Purp, unless it is quite small, it can easily take over the whole pot all by it's self, no problem. You can do the flava and the rubra for a few years at least so that shouldn't be to bad. Intermedia likes things wetter than the rest but it isn't too big a deal so I believe either of those two Drosera will work ok but filiformis is the better choice IMHO. Forget capensis and/or spatulata, they will never make it. For the dirt I would just go with peat but if you want to mess around with all the rest of it, that's fine. If that's a live Sphag top dressing you might have some trouble keeping it moist enough but what the heck, have fun. Lastly, I would put holes in the bottom of the pot and do a deep tray method, but your idea will probably work, for a while at least, maybe. Good luck and enjoy!
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!