FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
Adelae wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:07 pm I've got a "lowland setup" that consists of a $2 plastic punch bowl/lid on top of a seedling mat set to 75F. It's perfect for a young bical!

...But I know it's perfect because I already have a young bical in there, so I'm not actually entering the giveaway.

(One day soon it will outgrow the punch bowl, but that's a problem for future me)
You are right they definitely get really big. But you are a contender for parenting this baby for a while :D
By DragonsEye
Probably my favorite nep .... or at least close to the top. But one I will never own. There is no room in an apt for the monster it will become, and no way I see it surviving my arid winter RH (typically around 15%). No, it will remain a plant that I must enjoy vicariously through others. I hope you are able to find it a good home.
By thepitchergrower
elaineo wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:17 am @Hollyhock, I am not brave enough for this giveaway, but have you considered growing in your bathroom? I have papaya and coffee bean seedlings next to my bathtub :lol:
Trying to start a food forest? I thought I was the only one with a heat mat setup on my work desk...
By elaineo
thepitchergrower wrote: Trying to start a food forest? I thought I was the only one with a heat mat setup on my work desk...
That's the thing... I don't have a heat mat! I used to use one, but then I realized that I have all these warm places around the house just going to waste. Top of fridge, next to heater vents, above light fixtures, etc.
By DesertPat
Hahahaha....i have a hard enough time getting my venerata to pitcher and hold on to them for more than a month. That said, I'm stepping up the game growing some from seed in a heated setup. Maybe someday I'll know what I'm doing enough for the really cool stuff.

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

By thepitchergrower
elaineo wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:39 am
thepitchergrower wrote: Trying to start a food forest? I thought I was the only one with a heat mat setup on my work desk...
That's the thing... I don't have a heat mat! I used to use one, but then I realized that I have all these warm places around the house just going to waste. Top of fridge, next to heater vents, above light fixtures, etc.
I tried on top of the fridge. Not enough space. Also near the heat vent in my bathroom. Too dark. Oh well. Good luck with your soon to be food forest
elaineo liked this
By Nepenthes0260
If you can’t find anybody, I’d be happy to take this little guy off your hands… :lol:
Attachments:
One of my larger bicals- “orange”
One of my larger bicals- “orange”
1458D279-309D-4F1D-8CBB-CA24F2AEDA0A.jpeg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2679 times
By Sundews69
I really wish I kept that heat mat I just returned! Which heat mats do you guys use that work the best for lowland neps? The one I had didn't work the best.
By Sundews69
hollyhock wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:06 pm OK. I need to hear why you should get this plant. It's a baby nepenthes bicalcarta. You know the one with fangs? :lol:
Anyway I don't have the proper conditions to make it happy. So you must be able to tell me that you are able to grow this baby in proper environment. Read up on it first. Then decide if it's a plant you feel that you can provide the best home.
Don't be impulsive because it's a cool plant. Learn from me. I have bought expensive plants only to have them suffer and yes sometimes die. I'm not perfect. But what I have learned in 7+ years is to go with plants that fit my grow areas. Lowland nepenthes are not a good fit for me. So consider everything and then write a paragraph about why you would be the best parent to this little one. And I definitely can't send it until we warm up in Michigan. Winning essay and winner agrees to $10 shipping
Nepenthes0260 wrote:If you can’t find anybody, I’d be happy to take this little guy off your hands… :lol:
Have you found a home for him, @hollyhock? I've got a lowland setup just about up and running. If you still want to give him away, I could take him off you hands. I just got a heater, Ink Bird, and I'm gonna get a heat lamp as well. If I have the money, I may try to get a heat mat, too.
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
I need this plant because I'm new to carnivorous plants (got my first VFT last month) but I'm already heavily financially invested, including a glass cupboard that I plan on setting up as a grow station when cold weather hits ... Complete with a heat mat under wet clay balls on the bottom shelf of the cupboard.

Nepenthes are actually my favorite plant!
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
hollyhock wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:55 pm
Adelae wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:07 pm I've got a "lowland setup" that consists of a $2 plastic punch bowl/lid on top of a seedling mat set to 75F. It's perfect for a young bical!

...But I know it's perfect because I already have a young bical in there, so I'm not actually entering the giveaway.

(One day soon it will outgrow the punch bowl, but that's a problem for future me)
You are right they definitely get really big. But you are a contender for parenting this baby for a while :D
I'd like to see a picture of this set up
By Sundews69
I'm not saying this because I think I'm the one who should have the plant and I still kinda fit in this section of beginners, but N. bicalcarata is not beginner friendly. I think you should have successfully grown Neps for 6 months before you try a bical. Just my thought though. If it's not gone yet, it'll be hollyhock's decision.
By Apollyon
This one is actually one I've been considering for a long time. I grow many types of carnivores and my natural climate is conducive to lowland Nepenthes growth, allowing me to grow them outside without needing to provide them with additional care or supplementing heat/humidity. I harden my lowland Neps off to provide them a more natural environment where they can grow large.

Also, if I actually received this plant, in the future I'll provide a clone of it and host a giveaway to give others a chance to grow it later on.

Hope you consider it :D
Last edited by Apollyon on Wed May 18, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panman liked this
Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!