FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By xr280xr
I found these hydroponics pots and I'm 95% sure they're going to be perfect! I hope so because I bought 100 of them...I'm a sucker for good value :oops:. I figure that's about a lifetime supply if they work out. They're a little bit bigger than I would've preferred, but that was the smallest I could find to give me enough depth for large VFTs. They're approximately 5" x 5" x 7" and have a 1 quart capacity. Also nice that they're white so I can use them indoors or outdoors (not sure how they'll hold up to UV, though).

I'm excited to finally be able to have all my plants in identical square pots. They'll save so much space and be so much easier to water. Now I just need to find some flood tables they nicely fit into.
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG (207.97 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG (233.66 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
By Matt
Those look like they'll be ideal size for growing large flytraps! Only concern is with all of the holes, a peat-based mix will slowly erode out of the pots. But if you use long fiber sphagnum, or just line the pot with something, it shouldn't be an issue at all!
Matt liked this
By xr280xr
Hmm, good point. I'm planning on using LFS right now, so I think the holes will be beneficial. Seems like a piece of packaging tape covering the side holes (on the interior) would do the trick otherwise. I think if it was a peat mix with perlite, some of the finer peat would sluice through the sides, but the perlite would probably block up the holes pretty well. More might wash out all the bottom holes if top watering, but I'd expect that to be less of an issue when tray watering, wouldn't you?
By nimbulan
For those asking about these pots, I use a ton of them myself and know many others who do. They're manufactured by Hydrofarm under the brand Active Aqua. They come in sizes from 5" up to 12" in both black and white. The 5" size is very handy for a lot of CPs and will fit 8 to a 1020 tray. You can buy them at many hydroponics stores or from Amazon (full cases, if you need a lot of them.) They're a bit spendy, but very sturdy and look pretty decent.
By nimbulan
Matt wrote:
nimbulan wrote:You can buy them at many hydroponics stores
Or from FlytrapStore!!!:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/growi ... y-trap-pot
I didn't realize you started carrying them. I'm guessing you really like them for large flytraps then! I mostly use them for Sarracenia (some of which are outgrowing the 7" size...) and Nepenthes.
By Fishkeeper
I have this exact brand of pot. They feel very sturdy, and are nice and tall. I grow my Nepenthes in them. Also a pepper plant, which I've put right against the window. I like that they don't heat up in the sun, since they're white, and I'm sure the plants' roots appreciate that as well.
By Jeanette56
I just bought a few of these pots from Matt. How do you go about potting your plants up in them? I live southwest Texas so for me tray watering is the way to go. I guess my real question is should I put lfsm in the bottom of the pot to prevent the peat mix from slowly coming out of the drain holes?
Thanks for your help!
nimbulan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:30 am For those asking about these pots, I use a ton of them myself and know many others who do. They're manufactured by Hydrofarm under the brand Active Aqua. They come in sizes from 5" up to 12" in both black and white. The 5" size is very handy for a lot of CPs and will fit 8 to a 1020 tray. You can buy them at many hydroponics stores or from Amazon (full cases, if you need a lot of them.) They're a bit spendy, but very sturdy and look pretty decent.
By Dan V
Jeanette56 wrote:I guess my real question is should I put lfsm in the bottom of the pot to prevent the peat mix from slowly coming out of the drain holes?
Coffee filters work well and are cheap, they block all but the top four holes which you can simply stuff in a small piece of paper towel.

I use an inch or two of lfsm for the bottom and stuff it in the upper side holes that are not covered saving a little moss. You can also combine the coffee filter with the lfsm.

Great video by Maggie Chen: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ma ... &FORM=VIRE
Attachments:
coffee filter
coffee filter
20230106_170107.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 2355 times
coffee filter plus a little lfsm
coffee filter plus a little lfsm
20230106_173616.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2355 times
By Jeanette56
Perfect! I use coffee filters for all my other pots. A filter and a little moss should do the trick. Thanks Dan! Sometimes we just don’t see the obvious.
By Intheswamp
Dan V wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:55 pm
Jeanette56 wrote:I guess my real question is should I put lfsm in the bottom of the pot to prevent the peat mix from slowly coming out of the drain holes?
Coffee filters work well and are cheap, they block all but the top four holes which you can simply stuff in a small piece of paper towel.

I use an inch or two of lfsm for the bottom and stuff it in the upper side holes that are not covered saving a little moss. You can also combine the coffee filter with the lfsm.

Great video by Maggie Chen: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ma ... &FORM=VIRE
Hmmm, I use weed barrier fabric...a stranded fiber that cuts easily with scissors. The smallest roll you can find will last forever. Just be sure you don't get the heavy-duty vinyl-like stuff...that would be too bulky. Water flows through the stuff I use effortlessly.

Something else about the coffee filters....a commercial-grade filter would probably cover the upper holes as they are intended for a much larger coffee maker. Next time at Waffle House or some place selling lots of regular drip coffee ask your waiter/waitress if you could "see" one of the filters they use. That would get their curiosity up and also give them some "ownership" of the filter inspection. Have your wallet laying on the table like your getting ready to leave a tip...study the filter a bit look at them as if they know what your talking about and ask them if you could get maybe a dozen or so of the filters. :mrgreen: You never know... ;)
Dan V liked this

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!