FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By rara_avis
Hi guys! I just got gifted an Oncidium Aka Baby (Raspberry Chocolate) out of the blue and I have a few questions.

1. How do you guys simulate night time temp drops to induce flowering? I’m thinking of putting under some grow lights in my room but it would never drop the 10 or so degrees needed to get into spike. Perhaps putting it by a window? Tell me about your beginner friendly setups! This is my biggest question so far.

2. Is there such a thing as too much humidity? I have a humidifier I keep in my plant room for my VFTs and I could put the orchid next to it but I’m concerned about it being too much.

3. Oncidiums are generally medium light, yeah? Would some trees dappling the sun throughout the day (outside the window) cause the light to not be enough?

4. Do Oncidiums require seasons and dormancy?

Thank you in advance for the help! I’m sitting on my hospital bed frantically googling how to keep my get well gift alive hahaImage
By Jaker00

rara_avis wrote:Hi guys! I just got gifted an Oncidium Aka Baby (Raspberry Chocolate) out of the blue and I have a few questions.

1. How do you guys simulate night time temp drops to induce flowering? I’m thinking of putting under some grow lights in my room but it would never drop the 10 or so degrees needed to get into spike. Perhaps putting it by a window? Tell me about your beginner friendly setups! This is my biggest question so far.

2. Is there such a thing as too much humidity? I have a humidifier I keep in my plant room for my VFTs and I could put the orchid next to it but I’m concerned about it being too much.

3. Oncidiums are generally medium light, yeah? Would some trees dappling the sun throughout the day (outside the window) cause the light to not be enough?

4. Do Oncidiums require seasons and dormancy?

Thank you in advance for the help! I’m sitting on my hospital bed frantically googling how to keep my get well gift alive hahaImage
somewhat seasoned orchid grower here! so to cool the orchids, you could either put them on a rack with a tray of ice below it to cool, you could also use a "portable air conditioner" which are basically just small evaporative coolers, and put ice on it and put it near the orchids to cool them, I've found that the one I use cools the room ≈2°F, but if you put it right next to the orchids it will work even better, keeping it by a window might work, or you could put it outside during the night assuming your nights are cool, also oncidiums don't NEED a temperature drop at night to bloom, they will bloom on their own when a new growth is mature or almost mature, but a temp drop wouldn't be bad.

there is no such thing as too much humidity unless the plant seems to never dry out, and/or mold is growing

oncidiums are medium light, and you should grow the in similar light as phals. maybe slightly shadier, to know if there would be enough light at your window I would need pictures of the window and the orchid in the light, it also might help to know which way the window faces

oncidiums do not need seasons or dormancy, their growth pattern is similar to phals. in that they bloom then grow a new growth and repeat

hope this helps! also make sure you repot the orchid as soon as it's done flowering because I've found that most oncidiums come in subpar soil.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Jaker00
rara_avis wrote:Thank you so much for the help! One more question: Is algae on roots harmful? I’ve been hearing mixed opinions on this and I’m not sure if I should treat it with peroxide or just let it be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it depends how much, if it covers most of the roots then it's bad, but if there's just a bit on the roots it shouldn't be too bad as long as it isn't damaging the roots.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not what you would expect...

The guy who lived across from me has an electric[…]

You live in Siberia??? :shock:

I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine seal[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!