FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cymbaline
Not sure if a picture would help any but mine are just little buttons so not much to see. I'm wondering if anyone knows what triggers these guys to get out of dormancy and start growing those tentacle like leaves?
I have three of them which I bought from California Carnivores and none have started growing. I increased the light to 10+ hours a day, and the humidity ranges around 80 % .

Also if they don't wake up ... is that okay? :) Thanks in advance for the advice. If pictures are required I'll get some.
By twitcher
I would try putting them in a bright windowthat gets eastern or northern exposure. This being spring give them a chance to trigger using the normal process. Other than that, may i suggest you try a gypsicola x moctezumae hybrid. They look very similar to gypsicolar, are usually easier, and very nice pings once they get going for you.
Cymbaline liked this
By madrone
twitcher has great suggestions - those are the first things I'd try. My gypsi is just starting to wake up and we're up to a 16-hour natural day length here in the PNW. I also use supplemental lights (not for that full time) as although the sun is up, it is typically cloudy, so my sunlight is 'filtered'. I've heard of folks trying gentle top watering to provoke the transition to carnivory, but I don't have experience with that, and if your conditions weren't right to get the plant crown dried out, I suppose it could be problematic.

How long have you had the plants? I follow the plant's lead typically. They'll wake up when they want to. I feel like overall my gypsi has a pretty short grow season as it wakes up later than most, and goes to bed early. I've seen spectacular gypsicolas on the forums, and I suspect those growers get longer grow seasons out of their plants, as mine stays on the smaller side, but it's dewy tentacles are no less endearing.

Good luck with your plants - give us updates as you can!
Cymbaline liked this
By Cymbaline
madrone wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:24 am twitcher has great suggestions - those are the first things I'd try. My gypsi is just starting to wake up and we're up to a 16-hour natural day length here in the PNW. I also use supplemental lights (not for that full time) as although the sun is up, it is typically cloudy, so my sunlight is 'filtered'. I've heard of folks trying gentle top watering to provoke the transition to carnivory, but I don't have experience with that, and if your conditions weren't right to get the plant crown dried out, I suppose it could be problematic.

How long have you had the plants? I follow the plant's lead typically. They'll wake up when they want to. I feel like overall my gypsi has a pretty short grow season as it wakes up later than most, and goes to bed early. I've seen spectacular gypsicolas on the forums, and I suspect those growers get longer grow seasons out of their plants, as mine stays on the smaller side, but it's dewy tentacles are no less endearing.

Good luck with your plants - give us updates as you can!
Thank you for the tips! I bought my first one in November and then two others in March so not that long at all and not that experienced with them as they have been dormant the entire time and I have been told to not water them. So they have been cute little buttons this entire time.

I have everyone in a grow tent under lighting so I thought they would wake up but nope. All my other pings are happy little campers but these .... yea they still think it's winter or something. I'll put them outside soon as it's been raining hard out here for this week.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!