FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
I have all my CPs indoors, and I am slowly lowering the photoperiod for them. I plan to move all the plants that require dormancy into the garage. My question is how do I do it. Do I keep lowering the photoperiod until my plants are dormant, or do I move them now to the garage and let them adapt to the colder environment? I have flytraps and sundews that I will be moving.

Also, I have some intermedia seedlings, and I’m wondering if I can skip dormancy this year, or do I have to give them dormancy this year?
Drosera Intermedia
Drosera Intermedia
17B55219-B600-4569-B304-46198953370C.jpeg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 2920 times
By Sundews69
you can definitely skip dormancy for the seedlings and I would move the other plants to the garage before temps get below freezing so they can acclimate. If you have a cool basement I would put them there instead of the garage because I noticed garages only make it a few degrees warmer and all my plants died when I put them in the garage.
By TrapsAndDews
Well our garage doesn't go below freezing in the winter. The only time my plants would be at risk of freezing is when the garage door is open. I've already done dormancy twice in our garage, but this year I was growing all my plants indoors.
Sundews69 liked this
By TrapsAndDews
I forgot to mention that I also have a sarr that will be going through dormancy. I’m assuming I can treat it like my flytraps.

Also, do I need to acclimate my filiformis slowly to the colder environment?
Sundews69 liked this
By Dan V
I grow indoors as well. I moved some plants to my garage last month under led grow lamps, so they will have both the cooler temps and the proper photoperiod, garage rarely goes below 40 degrees F.
Last edited by Dan V on Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sundews69
Yes you can treat it like the VFTs.

I don't think you would need to acclimate it any slower but I haven't personally grown filiformis.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!