FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By hungry carnivores
This looks like pinguicula gracilis to me. It is a smaller harder to keep ping species. I presume the orange dots are food.

You currently have a terrible mix for pinguicula, no offence. I used to do this mix, now I do it only to pop leaf pullings. They hate sphag IME. Use a 1/2 peat perlite mix instead. The mix you have here can be used for temperate pings, which like sphag.

New growth looks good. If I can tell it looks slightly etiolated, maybe a little more light. Gracilis did best for me in full humidity, but you must acclimate it.

Please respond with further questions or clarification.
By lilshophorror
hungry carnivores wrote:This looks like pinguicula gracilis to me. It is a smaller harder to keep ping species. I presume the orange dots are food.

You currently have a terrible mix for pinguicula, no offence. I used to do this mix, now I do it only to pop leaf pullings. They hate sphag IME. Use a 1/2 peat perlite mix instead. The mix you have here can be used for temperate pings, which like sphag.

New growth looks good. If I can tell it looks slightly etiolated, maybe a little more light. Gracilis did best for me in full humidity, but you must acclimate it.

hungry carnivores wrote:This looks like pinguicula gracilis to me. It is a smaller harder to keep ping species. I presume the orange dots are food.

It's a Pinguicula Rotundiflora.

No offense taken! I am still learning so open to criticism. I do have it in Peat moss, dry sphagnum and perlite. I use to have it in only sphagnum and changed the medium when I saw it wasn't working. but it seems to be drying out now when before it was browning. If I change the medium again, would it shock it to where it will die for sure?

The root system is SUPER small too but I got it like that.

I live in Miami with high humidity and I have it outside on a window sill but indirect light. I put it in the sun for a few hours a day. Should I leave it out longer?

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.
By hungry carnivores
In the house should work fine.

Roots on pings are normal to be very tiny. Unless kept in super low humidity/water.

Rotundiflora is a little pain-y to keep as well. Mine have recently died, looking at getting them back.
By jeff
if it is a ping rotundiflora , it is a calcareous or gypsum specie, then change the substrat

I grow mine in these 2 substrat ;) actually there are outdoor in shade with a substrat sletly wet

see here 'in situ'
http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pi ... ard_26.htm
http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pi ... ard_12.htm

jeff
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!