FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By skitch23
Hi I'm Skitch! I do not have a green thumb, but my mom gave me a mini phalaenopsis for my birthday earlier this year and I was bound and determined to keep it alive. I now have five more orchids and a few other house plants :) I was having some issues with gnats and was looking for organic solutions and everything kept leading me to CP's. I happened to find a basic Fly Trap at my Trader Joe's grocery store a couple months ago... then I picked up a baby Spatulata from a local exotic plant shop... and most recently I found some kind of Sarracenia at Lowe's.

I stumbled across this page thanks to a link on reddit that mentioned the seed bank so I'm excited to see what grows from my mystery choice. If you would have told be at the beginning of the year that I'd be growing (and loving!) carnivorous plants, I would have laughed in your face lol.
By Sundews69
Welcome to the forum!
skitch23 liked this
By evenwind
Welcome!
By Intheswamp
Welcome to the forum!!!

For your gnats some d. binata of some form or a d. Filiformis might be good…nice elevated “perches” for gnats and small flies to land on! ;)
skitch23 liked this
By Sundews69
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:39 am Welcome to the forum!!!

For your gnats some d. binata of some form or a d. Filiformis might be good…nice elevated “perches” for gnats and small flies to land on! ;)
Yeah, and if you are willing to spend some money (the seed bank doesn't have seed for these at the moment), a Pinguicula would be perfect. The main thing they catch are fungus gnats and flies.
Intheswamp liked this
By Bluefire
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:41 am Yeah, and if you are willing to spend some money (the seed bank doesn't have seed for these at the moment), a Pinguicula would be perfect. The main thing they catch are fungus gnats and flies.
There should be at least one pack, I sent in some P. cyclosecta because I'm swimming in those about now.
Camden liked this
By Sundews69
Bluefire wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:44 am
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:41 am Yeah, and if you are willing to spend some money (the seed bank doesn't have seed for these at the moment), a Pinguicula would be perfect. The main thing they catch are fungus gnats and flies.
There should be at least one pack, I sent in some P. cyclosecta because I'm swimming in those about now.
Ooo, nice! Only problem: she/he's not eligible.
By skitch23
Sundews69 wrote: Ooo, nice! Only problem: she/he's not eligible.
She, and yep! I'm too new!! But before I found this site, I did have a few pings on my wish list. I'm in Phoenix and its still too hot here to be ordering live plants right now... hopefully in the spring I'll be able to get a couple tho. Same for the binata that Intheswamp mentioned, but maybe I'll get one of those in my mixed capes seed pack.
By evenwind
Well, there shouldn't be any D.binata in the mixed capes (D.capensis) seed pack but the Capes themselves are pretty good at eating gnats and your Spat should be enjoying them, too. Of course, as has been said, a couple of happy pings would be best... Welcome to the hobby!
By -Stanley-
Welcome!
By skitch23
evenwind wrote:Well, there shouldn't be any D.binata in the mixed capes (D.capensis) seed pack
Oh gosh, duh. I knew that lol. But my poor sleep deprived brain correlated the mixed rosettes with low profile sundews and mixed capes with vertical ones :lol: either way, I'll be happy with some new stuff!
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!