FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By want2getaclue
My middle daughter decided to get a Venus Flytrap from one of the local retailers. In the meantime, she asked me to get her a Mario Warp Pipe planter. I decided it would be both cute, and interesting, so I got one for me.

They finally arrived. In the meantime, she got a bag of carnivorous plant soil, and some good sphagnum moss. I got jugs of distilled water. Yesterday, we shredded the sphagnum moss, and mixed it into the soil, repotted the plants, added a top dressing of sphagnum moss, then gently watered, so the soil is moist. They turned out adorable.

I had been reading that Venus Flytraps can be acclimated to full sun. I had not studied up on this forum yet, but what I read mentioned starting them in about 4 hours of direct sunlight. Last night I set my little plant out on a table in the screened patio. This morning the light came streaming in, and it got about 3.5 hours of direct sunlight, and indirect sunlight the rest of the day.

A couple traps turned black. I began searching for forums to get some help, and stumbled onto this one. I'm glad I did. I'm not sure if the blackened traps is due to transplanting, or too much sun, or a combination of both. Tomorrow, I'll cut way back on the direct sunlight, acclimating my plant much more gently. Overall, the plant still looks good, so I hope I have not any major damage.
By thepitchergrower
It's probably just adjust to its new environment.

Welcome to the forum.
want2getaclue liked this
By want2getaclue
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. I rinsed the new growth medium, and cut back on direct sun exposure. This is the third day that I've found nothing blackened on it. It looks to be doing good now. I got the Mario Warp Pipe planter for it. (Yes I know that it will outgrow the smaller one, but it's fine for now). Yesterday hubby surprised me with Mario figures to put with it, and make it a really cute display. I love it!
14.jpg
14.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1249 times

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!