FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
So I've been using Maxsea at a concentration of 1.5 teaspoons/gallon on my Heliamphora nutans and Heliamphora minor for about 6 weeks now. I've been drenching the soil thoroughly every 2 weeks and then thoroughly drenching with distilled water about every 4 to 5 days. They seem to be responding very well to the fertilizer. The H. nutans is doing much better because it's been established much longer than the H. minor. The growth on the H. minor isn't as obvious, so I'm only showing some photos of the H. nutans.
Before (12-14-2009):
After (today 2-1-2010):

Sorry for the poor quality photos. I'll take better ones when there is some sunlight here to use. You can also find the blog entry here:
Fertilizing Heliamphora
By hackerberry
Nicely done, I've also been experimenting with some hydroponic nutrients. Looks like your H. Nutans is making some adult pitchers.

hb
By Matt
hackerberry wrote:Nicely done, I've also been experimenting with some hydroponic nutrients.
Very cool! I love experiments and seeing results. If you have photos, I'd love to see them.
hackerberry wrote:Looks like your H. Nutans is making some adult pitchers.
Not quite yet. It's put out some fairly large pitchers, but they've all been juvenile so far.
By linton
The plants are looking great Matt and have made some real growth. I have been fertilizing mine with slow release pellets dropped directly into the pitcher. One pellet in only one pitcher per plant, every 2 weeks. The results have been encouraging.
linton liked this
By snapperhead51
For best results , you really need to use RO water and a weekly fertilisation weekly rain water is good but just not quite good enough !!, use a very low acid base fertiliser because Helis dont like ants as food !!
I have been using the Mantec foliate fertiliser with as you know good results , at 10% strength once a week , , would think and know using a fertiliser with out urea as a base nitrogen will have even better results , aided with strong sun light and cool breezes over them they will increase growth expediently , it needs this combination to do well
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By jht-union
I want to start with fertilizing my CP's, sounds like is going well for everyone using fetilizer, i have many things going on right now with my plants, so that's another thing i will add to the list for next year! ;)

Very nice matt!!! :)
jht-union liked this
By ReefPlant
Thanks for the heads up! I have been reluctant to use anything, so i lightly foliar spray an acidic fertilizer at 10% or less every few weeks I also add an extra amount of Maxicrop, which is basically kelp 1-0-0.
However, i'm not sure if anyone runs an ultra-sonic humidifier in their grow area, if so. The unit needs a certain amount of TDS in the water it operates in. Like Snapperhead i run an R.O./D.I. unit for all of my plants water. Which will not run the unit due to the low conductivity.
Lately i have been adding the fertilizer to my water to bring the TDS just high enough to operate the unit and feed my plants. I focus on rinsing and flushing the pots.
So far so good. I'm going to start feeding more, i definitely want to try Maxsea! Look forward to seeing some more results Matt!
By Apollyon
Wanted to bring this old thread back. I was wondering how long you let the fertilizer stay in the media before flushing it. In the past, I saw a guy who would do this with nepenthes and he had great results. I'm more interested in Helis though. Does anyone else dance on the edge with their plants?
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!