FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By BxndiTSold
So today I received my first sarracenia pp, I went with sarracenia leucophylla, and I got a medium plant, when it got here it has 2 pitchers that aren’t fully formed and they’re only 4 inches tall, kinda a shame because I paid 30 bucks for this plant from California Carnivores, but anyways any care tips are appreciated!
By optique
I keep mine in large deep three gallon pots of peat/perlite sitting in shallow water and full sun. I do fert the 1st skinny spring pitchers with maxsea 1 time.
By optique
Some of the more southern variety's like Leucophylla and Minor just grow faster and bigger in there natural climate.(warm 80F night's) As far as humidity after the seeds pop i don't think it has much of an effect. My july's most days have a haze from high humidity but i see great looking photos of growers in desert area's.
By Intheswamp
Looks like a fair-sized rhizome with lots of trimmed off pitchers. Give it time to settle in and it'll probably surprise you. I bought a couple of the "bargain" $4.95, no-name, rhizomes from CC last fall/winter and they came completely trimmed down. They're roughly a foot+ tall so far and one has bloomed. Give yours time and LOTS of light. Definitely keep them moist. My little leuco that I was gifted seems to not like deep standing water but seems to prefer top watering and only a little water in a shallow tray. Conversely, the bargain/no-name sarrs seem to enjoy a couple of inches of water...and LOTS of light. I try to get all my sarrs outside as soon as possible.
By MikeB
BxndiTSold wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:17 pm Note:they also put a sticker that said”I’m not dead just asleep for the winter!” So could this one still be dormant?
From the description "it has 2 pitchers that aren’t fully formed", I'd say that it has just woken up from dormancy.

Also, Sarracenia leucophylla makes its best pitchers in late summer and early fall. The spring and early summer crop tends to be pretty mediocre compared with to late crop.
BxndiTSold wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:03 am Do they do well with humidity? Or do they just like warm temps?
Here is the range map for Sarracenia leucophylla. Warm and muggy summertime weather makes them happy.
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:14 pm Definitely keep them moist. My little leuco that I was gifted seems to not like deep standing water but seems to prefer top watering and only a little water in a shallow tray.
This is the "trick" with leuco cultivation. They like having wet feet, but they don't enjoy wading in up to their waists (unlike most other Sarracenia species). Mike Wang has a great post about how to prevent rot in this species.
By MikeB
BxndiTSold wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:32 pm By wet feet you mean that they like to have it like up to the roots but not completely filled like some?
What Panman said: very shallow water in the saucer/tray. My bigger plants are in pots that are 6.5 inches / 16.5 centimeters tall. I put the pots in saucers that are only 1 inch / 2.5 centimeters deep. I top water the plants until it runs through and fills the saucer. I let the saucer run dry before watering them again (usually every other day in the summer). The soil stays fairly damp, but the tips of the roots are sitting in water for less than 24 hours at a time.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!