FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By tommyr
I grow mine indoors in a partial sunny west window. I'll let others who may grow them outside answer that one.
By Bob Beer
sanguinearocks101 wrote:Do you know any that could at least stay outside for the summer?
I tried some outside last year but it was a little late. I will try a few “disposable” ones outside this summer, on the east side of the house, and perhaps on some constantly moist mossy logs down in the garden.

I believe Jeff has had good success growing them outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By jeff
Bonjour
'in situ' P.gigantea grow on vertical limestone walls, then I use calcareous subtrate for them

in the 6b country you can grow all the temperates species outside. Except in winter 2-3 species who do not have hibernaculae .

here to LE MANS I leave all my mexican ping outside when frost and cold is no longer to be feared , from mid may to mid october , from october to may I put them in my garage.
By tommyr
jeff wrote:Bonjour
'in situ' P.gigantea grow on vertical limestone walls, then I use calcareous subtrate for them

in the 6b country you can grow all the temperates species outside. Except in winter 2-3 species who do not have hibernaculae .
No way I would grow these outside in winter here. We get to near 0 F. sometimes during winter and a lot of nights in the single digits to low teens. No way they would make it. Same with Flytraps. I lost a lot of sarracenia a few years ago that way. Only my Flavas survived.
By ChefDean
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:23 pm Hello, I am new to pinguicula and have become interested in them. I am looking for a low-cost, easy to take care of, hardy plant. I would like one that does not have to go through the dormant/succulent phase but it is not necessary. I also want one that can grow in an easy soil mix(any combination of peat moss, lfsm, perlite, silica sand) Thank you!
I have a P. Emarginata x Juamavensis that I won from one of Hollyhocks giveaways, and it is a champ. It has shot off a couple pups on it's own, and every leaf pull except one, even the pulls I mangled, struck pups off.
From the research I've done, I decided to use a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite and have had no issues. Also from what I've read, it does just fine without a succulent phase. I top water gently until there's about 1/3 of an inch of water in the container, then let it dry to the point of barely damp, and water again. Very simple.
It winters on an east facing windowsill and fades to green, but turns a medium pink outside in the summer. Depending who drew the hardiness map you look at, I'm in 6b to 7b. It does just fine inside, but I've never had it flower unless it was outside.
If you'd like, I can send a couple pulls to get you started.
Chef
By jeff
"No way I would grow these outside in winter here. We get to near 0 F. sometimes during winter and a lot of nights in the single digits to low teens. No way they would make it. Same with Flytraps. I lost a lot of sarracenia a few years ago that way. Only my Flavas survived"

the usda zone: https://www.meyernursery.com/resources_zone_print.htm
in europe these 6b7b zones correspond to areas where we can find 'in situ' : vulgaris,grandiflora, alpina,leptoceras , longifolia,

yes for the mexican but for the vulgaris , macroceras ,villosa have you try ?

what temparature have you from may to october ?

jeff
By tommyr
jeff wrote:"No way I would grow these outside in winter here. We get to near 0 F. sometimes during winter and a lot of nights in the single digits to low teens. No way they would make it. Same with Flytraps. I lost a lot of sarracenia a few years ago that way. Only my Flavas survived"

the usda zone: https://www.meyernursery.com/resources_zone_print.htm
in europe these 6b7b zones correspond to areas where we can find 'in situ' : vulgaris,grandiflora, alpina,leptoceras , longifolia,

yes for the mexican but for the vulgaris , macroceras ,villosa have you try ?

what temparature have you from may to october ?

jeff
'

Temperatures from May thru mid October are just fine. My plants go in winter storage in mid October. Except my Tropical pings and Sundews which stay indoors all year in a west or south facing window. I don't have any vulgaris,grandiflora, alpina,leptoceras , longifolia. I know our weather enough to know tropicals and temperates would die off here without heavy mulch/covering. I will not risk it. As I said I've lost plants and won't do it again.
By tommyr
jeff wrote:"Temperatures from May thru mid October are just fine"
OK but what temperature min /max for these period ?
you are in what country and what town ?
70's F. - 90's F. USA, NY
By tommyr
jeff wrote:70°F to 90°F = 21°c to 32°c outdoor temperature ideal for Mexican ping ;)
Agreed for summer but not for the winter!
By sanguinearocks101
Okay so from what I understood of what you guys are saying I can leave any Mexican or Temperate pinguicula outside and they would be fine with winter protection. I assume Pinguicula Lusitanica would be good outside during the summer because it is warm temperate? And what does ‘in situ’ mean?
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!