FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By benyakrik
My beautiful flytrap has been looking under the weather these past few weeks—based on the tiny black bugs I saw crawling around, I'm guessing it's being noshed on by aphids or mites. I got the BioAdvanced 3-in-1 concentrate and a ready-to-use spray bottle of Neem oil, but as a first-time VFT owner, I don't want to do anything stupid.

It's low-growing and planted in LSFM—what are the logistics involved in killing all the bugs without causing further damage to the plant? Top watering and spraying is tricky since it's so crowded. I also have a bag of carnivorous plant potting soil and fresh LSFM. I wasn't planning on repotting until spring, but I could do it now if it would save the plant (my instinct tells me to get the VFT healthier before stressing it out).Image

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

By ChefDean
First, try to determine what the pests are.
If springtails, no treatment necessary.
If aphids, hit it lightly, once a week, including the undersides of the leaves, with the 3 in 1. VFT's are pretty resilient when it comes to most pesticides. Treat for at least four weeks.
If mites, 3 in 1 may do something, applied as above, but a little heavier and longer. You may need something stronger depending on the type of mite.
In my experience, neem is pretty ineffective all around.
Panman liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!