FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By jetfire245
So, I've been doing reading on how stratification works and what varieties require it.

I'm trying to figure something out.

I received D. Florida red and D. Florida giant from the seed bank. It was my understanding both of these seeds required stratification.

And yet, I can see plantlets forming in the container of water I have anyways.

Am I just wrong and these cultivars don't need to be stratified?
By NightRaider
IIRC the florida populations of filiformis don't need stratification, just those further north like filiformis var filiformis from NJ. On that note, I'd logically assume the NJ population of filiformis red would need stratification, but you rarely see those around or really talked about so I'm not 100% positive on that one.
By jetfire245
NightRaider wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:07 pm IIRC the florida populations of filiformis don't need stratification, just those further north like filiformis var filiformis from NJ. On that note, I'd logically assume the NJ population of filiformis red would need stratification, but you rarely see those around or really talked about so I'm not 100% positive on that one.
It would make so much sense if the Florida variations did not need stratification considering... Well. Good luck getting winter here (Florida) carnivorous plants.
By ChefDean
Many people report better germination rates with stratification of the Florida based temperates, but it's not necessary. Perhaps if the seeds were older, say a few years, I would strongly suggest stratification, but these are fresh enough to go without.
By jetfire245
ChefDean wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:06 pm Many people report better germination rates with stratification of the Florida based temperates, but it's not necessary. Perhaps if the seeds were older, say a few years, I would strongly suggest stratification, but these are fresh enough to go without.
This statement seems to hold true.

Upon checking I can see roughly 40-50% of my Florida giant germinated without stratification.

Significantly better success germinating the Florida giant via water compared to the Florida red I put outside in sphagnum.
By MikeB
The Florida reds that I grew didn't need stratification. They bloomed constantly, and by the end of summer, I had little red seedlings everywhere.
Not what you would expect...

https://gardenerspath.com/how-to/disease-and-pests[…]

From what I remember, one quarter teaspoon per ga[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!