FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
Littlemaxbigworld wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:12 am Home depot only had 3 cubic sq. feet packages of peat moss so I have a billion pounds of the stuff now stored in a storage tub. I'm ready to start a massive colony apparently hahaha.
Well, sounds like you're ready for the open house at Sarracenia Northwest. ;) Prepare to be amazed!
Sundews69, Camden liked this
By Littlemaxbigworld
MikeB wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:33 am
Littlemaxbigworld wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:12 am Home depot only had 3 cubic sq. feet packages of peat moss so I have a billion pounds of the stuff now stored in a storage tub. I'm ready to start a massive colony apparently hahaha.
Well, sounds like you're ready for the open house at Sarracenia Northwest. ;) Prepare to be amazed!
Thank you!! :D

I’m so stoked. And I realized as I was buying the tickets that July 22nd is my benchmark for being two years clean and sober so I’m definitely gonna treat myself! :)))
By Littlemaxbigworld
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:33 am
Littlemaxbigworld wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:28 am
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:22 am
Yes, best to do it right the first time! 'Ginormous' is a cultivar. Venus flytraps (VFTs) are only one species (Dionaea Muscipula). Anything labeled other than Dionaea Muscipula or Dionaea M. 'typical' is a cultivar. I have Dionaea M. 'red dragon' for example.

It looks like your plant shipped quite well! Minor damage to traps is to be expected. Expect to have very slow growth from your VFT as they HATE being shipped during the active growing season and sometimes need years to recover (Although it usually doesn't take that long). If it is indoors, keep the humidity as high as possible to help it recover. If it's outdoors, don't bag it to keep humidity high as the greenhouse effect will destroy your plant. If you have grow lights, put it under them with the plant in a bag. Let me know if you have any questions at all!
Yay! I'm happy to hear it came in in good condition. Unless it was clearly damaged and visibly doing very poorly I wouldn't necessarily know what to look for.

I've got him outside. Currently in a shady spot with a few brief hours of evening sun to slowly acclimate him to full sun. When he's ready I have a super-sunny spot that should give them all of their sunshine needs according to the things I've read they need. As impatient I can be at times to get immediate gratification I'm totally willing to be patient with recovery. Even if I do check on it and stare at it a million times a day and tell him he's doing wonderful.
Ok, for the best recovery, give him LOTS of humidity though. He'll will probably be fine without it but he will greatly appreciate it! Also, 'Ginormous', hence the name, gets huge traps! Up to 2 inches across! Melvin could also use some more light. Make sure you acclimate him to more light too though as he had been in a big box store for who knows how long with very little light.
From having looked around online it’s looking like Melvin might have some sunburn. What do you think? I moved him to a shadier spot for now. But his new trap is officially starting to open with some teefs coming out today!! :D

Also been doing that bag thing for Calvin. I have a ball python so I have hygrometers laying around the house so I have one in there, too, like the guide said.

(And my boyfriend totally ordered me one of those mystery red-plant seed packet things and FTS Flaming Lips and omg I can’t wait. I love starting plants from seeds!)
Attachments:
6FC31C73-4A25-4279-9D69-0DA5B9C6791A.jpeg
6FC31C73-4A25-4279-9D69-0DA5B9C6791A.jpeg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 2166 times
A005AD49-6B9C-455F-997D-443CEBF86C6D.jpeg
A005AD49-6B9C-455F-997D-443CEBF86C6D.jpeg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 2166 times
75A6B410-1E01-406E-B438-2C09791C7039.jpeg
75A6B410-1E01-406E-B438-2C09791C7039.jpeg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 2166 times
904ED0FE-867F-4363-873D-18FADD488113.jpeg
904ED0FE-867F-4363-873D-18FADD488113.jpeg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 2166 times
6AD3E962-66E6-4854-AAAC-A33831A103DA.jpeg
6AD3E962-66E6-4854-AAAC-A33831A103DA.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 2166 times
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Littlemaxbigworld wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:15 pm

Yay! I'm happy to hear it came in in good condition. Unless it was clearly damaged and visibly doing very poorly I wouldn't necessarily know what to look for.

I've got him outside. Currently in a shady spot with a few brief hours of evening sun to slowly acclimate him to full sun. When he's ready I have a super-sunny spot that should give them all of their sunshine needs according to the things I've read they need. As impatient I can be at times to get immediate gratification I'm totally willing to be patient with recovery. Even if I do check on it and stare at it a million times a day and tell him he's doing wonderful.
Ok, for the best recovery, give him LOTS of humidity though. He'll will probably be fine without it but he will greatly appreciate it! Also, 'Ginormous', hence the name, gets huge traps! Up to 2 inches across! Melvin could also use some more light. Make sure you acclimate him to more light too though as he had been in a big box store for who knows how long with very little light.
From having looked around online it’s looking like Melvin might have some sunburn. What do you think? I moved him to a shadier spot for now. But his new trap is officially starting to open with some teefs coming out today!! :D

Also been doing that bag thing for Calvin. I have a ball python so I have hygrometers laying around the house so I have one in there, too, like the guide said.

(And my boyfriend totally ordered me one of those mystery red-plant seed packet things and FTS Flaming Lips and omg I can’t wait. I love starting plants from seeds!)
Exciting!!

No, he isn't sunburned. He still could use more light actually. The size of the petioles is a good sign of that. Leaf burn usually won't happen near the rhizome and is usually a sickly yellow and/or rusty orange. And the outside of the petiole will usually turn black.
By Sundews69

Flytraps can be hard to start from seed so do your research. Also, they take an ETERNITY! I started some in March 2022 and are still smaller than a dime. They can take up to 10 years to reach maturity when they aren't fed. If they are it can be done in 5 years or less easily. I wouldn't recommend feeding them until you are more experienced. When they're small the only way to really feed them is with maxsea fertilizer and it can very easily burn or kill the plant. They also need live bugs because when they catch something, the trigger hairs need to be continuously simulated to start digestion.
By Littlemaxbigworld
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:47 pm

Exciting!!

No, he isn't sunburned. He still could use more light actually. The size of the petioles is a good sign of that. Leaf burn usually won't happen near the rhizome and is usually a sickly yellow and/or rusty orange. And the outside of the petiole will usually turn black.
Okie! I moved him into lots and lots of sun this morning before I left for the zoo!
By Sundews69
Make sure you don't do this too fast. If it goes from little light to lots of light, the leaves will burn and the plant might die back. I would slowly acclimate it to higher light. Maybe move it to that sunny spot for 1 hour a day for 2 days. Then after those two days, put them in that spot for two hours for another two days. And then just continue that progress until it can permanently stay in that spot.
By Littlemaxbigworld
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:35 pm Make sure you don't do this too fast. If it goes from little light to lots of light, the leaves will burn and the plant might die back. I would slowly acclimate it to higher light. Maybe move it to that sunny spot for 1 hour a day for 2 days. Then after those two days, put them in that spot for two hours for another two days. And then just continue that progress until it can permanently stay in that spot.
I mean he’s basically spent all of his time at my place in full sun which is what had me concerned that he was burning in the first place. D:
Sundews69 liked this
By Littlemaxbigworld
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:35 pm Make sure you don't do this too fast. If it goes from little light to lots of light, the leaves will burn and the plant might die back. I would slowly acclimate it to higher light. Maybe move it to that sunny spot for 1 hour a day for 2 days. Then after those two days, put them in that spot for two hours for another two days. And then just continue that progress until it can permanently stay in that spot.
Melvin is the death-cup rescue who was in a sunny window when I bought him. Could you tell me what to look for to help identify sun-stress? It seems like - from other posts around the internet- that hypothetically if the sun did roast him alive, as long as the rhizome remained intact and in good shape he’d technically be able to make a recovery next year? Not at *all* like I’d ever want to do that to him. Ever. But like, hypothetically if I totally ended up screwing up some how? Which I refuse to do at all costs.
By Sundews69
Usually the plant can survive heat/light stress. Some signs are: smaller traps, burnt leaves (I described what that looks like a bit ago), and loss of color. If the rhizome is white, it can usually recover. I would bring it inside if that happens because you don't want it to get worse even if that means lower light for a bit.
By Littlemaxbigworld
Perfect! I’ll keep an eye out. Thank you for all the help. <3
Sundews69 liked this
By Littlemaxbigworld
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:59 pm

Flytraps can be hard to start from seed so do your research. Also, they take an ETERNITY! I started some in March 2022 and are still smaller than a dime. They can take up to 10 years to reach maturity when they aren't fed. If they are it can be done in 5 years or less easily. I wouldn't recommend feeding them until you are more experienced. When they're small the only way to really feed them is with maxsea fertilizer and it can very easily burn or kill the plant. They also need live bugs because when they catch something, the trigger hairs need to be continuously simulated to start digestion.
I have no idea how I missed this reply but that’s all good to know!! I’m totally open to trying even if it means failing for a long while. I love starting seedlings so I’m happy to be patient. I plan on doing an excessive amount of research and reading before I even attempt anything that way I have as good of an idea of what I’m doing as I can manage haha. Still super excited though! :D
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Yes, I can be so rewarding. Even if you fail on this attempt (which I don't think you will - should get some germination with all of the research you're doing!) you can request VFT seeds from the seed bank once you fit the requirements! I would love to see updates on how they do once you get them going!
By Camden
Littlemaxbigworld wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:22 pm
Sundews69 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:59 pm

I have no idea how I missed this reply but that’s all good to know!! I’m totally open to trying even if it means failing for a long while. I love starting seedlings so I’m happy to be patient. I plan on doing an excessive amount of research and reading before I even attempt anything that way I have as good of an idea of what I’m doing as I can manage haha. Still super excited though! :D
Hey, and if you need help with those seeds feel free to ask questions. You also might want to check out this discussion-

title-quot-how-do-you-plant-flytrap-see ... 54752.html

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!