FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By MikeD
I’m contemplating installing an in ground mini-bog in a sloped part of my garden which will allow for good drainage (using a pipe across to where it becomes above ground) and good water control. My plan is to use a peat/silica-sand/perlite mix. Am I right in thinking I can go several years between changing out the soil, or is something that needs to be done annually?
By Panman
Depending on the depth, you can go a few years. I repot my 12 inch deep container bogs every 2 years but I could probably stretch that to 4.
By steve booth
A lot depends on how big the bog is, the bigger the better, and when it grows its own Sphagnum it stabilises the set up somewhat, not completely, but you get more years out of it. In my bogs I don't change the media, but every 4-5 years most plants need dividing, so I dig them up add new media to the holes and dig in pine chips and a little sulphur to the surrounding substrate to 'liven' it up, give aeration and acidify the soil.

Cheers
Steve
MikeD liked this
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!