FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BxndiTSold
So I just recently purchased a SANSI grow bulb for my vfts because where I live (apartment) I cant rig something like a yescom up to the ceiling, so that being said, I need something to plug the sansi into like a lamp socket but im not sure what to get as the bulb obviously has to be facing down so the light can hit the plants
By Gary
I use a flexible gooseneck lamp that I got at a thrift store for a few dollars. Works well for the sundews.
By Intheswamp
The lamp's neck has to be strong enough to hold the weight of the bulb.
By Intheswamp
Or, if you have something to clamp it to like a chair, tall stool, piece of board propped behind a desk, etc., you could simply use a clamp light. I prefer the "brooder light" style which has a ceramic socket which handles heat better than the plastic socketed ones. But, with LED bulbs the plastic ones will *probably* work fine...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-Ele ... hbdg=L1600
By BxndiTSold
Okay I’ll look into that! They seem to have them at my Walmart so hopefully I can just go in and get it, the bulb should be arriving tonight so
By BxndiTSold
Is that lamp adjustable? It says that it is but I just wanna he 100% sure
By Intheswamp
What do you mean by adjustable? It has no dimming feature about it, if that's what your talking about. Probably it's just saying you can tilt it at different angles...there's a little wingnut that tightens the tilting feature. Naturally the clamp can be adjusted as you want it. If you intend to use a dimmer with the Sansi bulb you probably need to check and be sure that it is capable of being used with a dimmer...lots of LED lights are not dimmable. Usually if an LED light is dimmable it will be noted in the description. What wattage bulb did you order? The heavier the bulb the more you have to take care in tilting and supporting the clamp lamp fixture. I've actually got one I need to set up for some plants I brought in during these near-freezing temperatures that we're suddenly having. I simply got a 120-watt daylight floodlamp to go in the fixture. I think you'll be happy with the clamp light. I've probably got a half-dozen around here I use to heat pipes and warm plants (using the ceramic "brooder" style and 250w heat lamps) during hard freezes down here.
By BxndiTSold
I meant like being able to tilt the lamp different angles so that it can be facing downwards towards my vfts, i habe aboht 7 as of rn it’s too cold to grow outsdie so I seen this is the most affordable option, i dont plan to use a dimmer as i wanr the vfts to be getting as much direct light as possible, how far away should I keep the light from them?
By BxndiTSold
Also i have set it up, question though, for the sansi, is there a timer feature on it? I cant find it
By Intheswamp
I think it's just a screw in bulb, isn't it? I never did get any info from you regarding it...???
By BxndiTSold
Also does it matter how close the light is? It’s only a couple inches away and i just wanna make sure I can have it like that
By Intheswamp
Height will partially depend on wattage.

ETA: As long as the light isn't too hot on the plants it should be ok...you really can't give the plants too much light but you *can* give them too much heat. I don't know if the Sansi heat up or not.
By BxndiTSold
The sansi does heat up but it doesn’t get overly hot like it’s warm to the touch but that’s about it
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!