FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I think they'd be weak for flytraps and pitcher plants. What type of a setup are you trying to use them in? On a desk? Shelf unit? How large of an area do you have to work with? Would you be able to hang a light over your plants? I'm thinking one of the panel lights would do better, but you have to be able to hang them from something. A DIY PVC plant-light stand would work. This stand is for a 48" shop light but you can adjust the length for what you need. I'm using some Walmart LED shop lights for some of my plants, I have three side-by-side. They're doing pretty good. But, you could hang a couple of Yescom panels beneath the stand, too.
By alecStewart1
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:11 pm I think they'd be weak for flytraps and pitcher plants. What type of a setup are you trying to use them in? On a desk? Shelf unit? How large of an area do you have to work with?
It's smaller dining table. I keep the lights pretty close to the plants and they seem to do alright. My girlfriend suggested a rolling cart that I could try and install lights on that I could just roll them outside on when conditions are good, or I could find a cabinet to repurpose.
By Intheswamp
I don't think the rolling cart would be a good idea if you will be rolling them in and out frequently. If you're talking about just a roll out in the spring and a roll in in the fall then you should be ok...but your lighting setup would be subject to rain. Plants don't do good with frequent change in lighting. Repurposing a cabinet might work. Or there's shelving units you can buy. It depends on "the look" that is required, along with the physical space you have available. Goodwill stores, flea markets, etc., with some creative ideas might be a good place to start. Don't buy the first thing you come up on that "might work"...shop a few stores and look at the pros and cons of what you find at them. ;)
By Roman S4
Hello there! I have a question about lights for VFT
I'm undergraduate doing my scientific work. I wanna germinate flytrap from the seeds and then micropropagate it. I'm using data from one article with the following parameters: cool-white fluorescent light (30 μmol m−2 s−1). I have a lamp with E27 screw and I haven't found suitable fluorescent light. I've bought a LED bulb with this properties:
* 1480 Lm
* 15 W
* 6500 K
* Ra > 80
Wanna know, it is a fitting substitution or not.
If it's not, could you say what bulb/lamp properties I should find? (pls, say with W and other 'common terms', because there isn't enough info about PPFD with wide sell lamps in my country)
By andynorth
alecStewart1 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:22 pm I was curious how y'all feel about these lights:

https://www.amazon.com/DICCEAO-Starting ... B09P31FYGS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HQ3DPND?psc=1
So I have tried both of these lights. The first one I would give a "D" rating as it did not really do much for the plants. The second one I would rate a C+. After switching to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HQ3DPND?psc=1 my VFT's and Sars took off like crazy. I also had an orchid that never bloomed in the same vicinity and it bloomed this past year. However, after purchasing an indoor greenhouse I upgraded to https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Integrat ... deae8f9840
and I must say I am very happy with it thus far. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend these lights.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!