FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Wutihbe
Is fish tank lights ok? i have no areas near me for natural sunlight & wind, etc
information will/might help alot
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 5548 times
By Supercazzola
I’m going to say no. I imagine lights designed for the visual appearance of objects and fish in a tank, will not be sufficient in spectrum and intensity for the needs of plants. I may be wrong, but it just seems like you’d be better spending money one ones with known spectral output.
WONE liked this
By Panman
Agreed. Fish tank lights are not bright enough unless you are using lighting for a coral setup. You can find a dual lamp flourescent fixture that will fit the top of the tank. That equipped with some grow lights may work.
Supercazzola liked this
By Aozora
it really depends on the type of lighting, im using some of my older led lights for my drosera seedlings and they are doing great and turning bright red.

the lights im using are specifically made to boost the growth of aquatic plants, normal lights most likely wont be enough.
By Hendre
Carnivorous plants just need light, lots of it. I am using 6500K LED tubes, 54W for a 60x60cm grow area. I have grown them under other LED's as well without issue. Not as great as sunlight but not a poor alternative.
By Huntsmanshorn
I'm using a cheap fish tank LED thingy for several carnivorous plants (no VFTs under it this year so far) and it works fine, but I do a 14 hr day and I will up that to 16hr as time goes by.

I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine seal[…]

Not what you would expect...

Right now I'm in the process of trying to thwart[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!