FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By WestCoastGirl
After I manage to kill my VFT (it didn't took well on repotting at the end of dormancy) and my D. Aliciae succumbed to fungus gnats larvae or the treatment with the nematodes (the other plants in the aquarium are well) :cry: just when it developed 2 cuttings (?). I thought to give it a go with Seeds as buying plants is just too costly in postage (the seeds via letter were cheaper than the postage alone for a potted or barerooted plant).

I have some pots and rather shallow trays on south facing window sil (the width of the window sil is the limiting space factor. Though I can asked around for certain ice cream tubes which would be deep trays and would just fit on the window sil.

For Medium I can choose from Sphagnum Moos Peat, coarse sand and dead longfibred Sphagnum moos.

No extra lights. I would cover the pots with either plastic bags or if the pots don't need to be filled to the rim, I could take cling film. Or I can use ziploc bags with one pot standing in one bag.

Seeds available:
> 250 seeds of mix of Utricularia (I thought for the Minibog)
10 VFTs (for the Minibog)
10 P. grandiflora (for the Minibog ... I have 2 pots, and/or kitchen window sil)
a few Droseras (10 seeds each): D. anglica, D. spathulata, D. aliciae, D. coccicaulis 'Alba'.

As more I try to read as more confused I'm. Lot of different methods and soil mixes it seems, even for the same species.

Does the P. grandiflora and D. anglica needs to go into the fridge first?

All seeds are currently in the fridge anyway, still in the envelope.

beside the Utricularia: the whole content of a seed package in one pot (I think it's 4inch pots)?

I guess I have to figure out how I split the Utricularia seeds onto different pots. though I also tempted to put some seeds just into the Aquarium (which is mainly covered with Sphagnum moos) and some just on the Minibog.
By ChefDean
I see a few issues.
Yes, the Pinguicula and anglica seeds need to be cold stratified, not just put in the fridge. The rest should be sow and grow. D. coccicaulis is actually D. venusta.
They should all be fine in your peat/sand/LFSM combo, but not all together. Some of those plants need a winter dormancy, while others will die during that same dormancy. The Utric, spat, aliciae, and venusta probably won't survive a cold dormancy. But the VFT, anglica, and Pinguicula probably won't survive long without one. Most will do well, at least survive, on a windowsill, but the VFT needs direct sunlight (outside, not on a windowsill) or strong artificial lighting 16 hours a day.
It sounds like the seller didn't know much about taking care of these seeds in order to achieve success.
By WestCoastGirl
Oh, the seller is having an idea about the plants. It's me who is not having so much of an idea. I have a general germination guide, including mention cold stratification and I did my googling. It's just too much information and everyone writes something different, even in the guides itself the authors jumping between different soils/methods.

Different names/availabilities between US America and Europe is not helping either (or me not being a native speaker and discovering fast that a standard dictionary is not sufficient for more technical questions).

I guess it's down to me, choosing instructions I'm understanding the best and go from there.
By Panman
For the pinguicula and anglica, prepare a pot like you would for growing. Sow the seeds on the soil and mist them so they make good contact. Put the pots in sealed plastic bags and put them in the refrigerator for 6 weeks.
By WestCoastGirl
so the Anglica and Pingu are in moist/damp/nearly wet shredded Sphagnum moss, in a bag in the fridge. No pot. Plan is to just dress the moos on top of a pot with soil.

The other seeds are in moist/damp/nearly wet shredded Sphagnum moss which is on top of a peat/sand mix, in bags on the window sil. Though some VTF seeds (wow, eventually seeds big enough to handle them individually with a finger tip) are on/in a pot on pure moos peat/sand mix and also outside on/in Minibog tub.
"some" of the Bladderworts seeds were also dispersed in the aquarium as were some, ehm, one of the Droseras. I forgot which one :?

If it was the Spatulata "white flower" it can get interesting as I'm fairly sure that it were seeds from my established Spatulata I dispersed a few minutes ago. Though, this was a pink flower. The flower(s) looked dried up and I just wanted to investigate a bit and to my surprise I had suddenly seeds (?) on the finger. Quick photo before I swiped the finger clean on the damp dead LFS.

I have some Bladderwort already in the Lido, the flower of them is bigger then the (visible) plant. No idea what I expected, but more than 2-3mm long leaves for sure :mrgreen: The yellow flowers are also very delicate, but because of the very long stems, you can't overlook the flower. Just took me a while to realize that this is not related to the sundews which are in the pots.
Attachments:
IMG20220509201531_s.jpg
IMG20220509201531_s.jpg (306.94 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
IMG20220509201517_s.jpg
IMG20220509201517_s.jpg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 2837 times

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!