FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
Which brand of death cube/big box store flytraps do you guys like the most? I like the gubler clones, they get massive and are insanely vigorous. This is 30 days of growth. Usually by the second year they get even bigger.
Attachments:
BE94F273-3E7C-47FC-A2F6-11E83486B97E.jpeg
BE94F273-3E7C-47FC-A2F6-11E83486B97E.jpeg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 1805 times
E892064A-DE6F-48E8-AFAE-924BD698A567.jpeg
E892064A-DE6F-48E8-AFAE-924BD698A567.jpeg (5.16 MiB) Viewed 1805 times
By albertoburrito
A few more pics. They grow really wide petioles and stay flat the first season, but get taller and bigger traps on thinner petioles the second season.
Attachments:
9744EA58-FAB2-4470-B9BB-7E78608A8D0E.jpeg
9744EA58-FAB2-4470-B9BB-7E78608A8D0E.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 1802 times
BF4A51A3-9991-4EEA-B181-BC275DC389A1.jpeg
BF4A51A3-9991-4EEA-B181-BC275DC389A1.jpeg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 1802 times
96FE3B16-ADF9-4B3C-869E-025CD74C0CAE.jpeg
96FE3B16-ADF9-4B3C-869E-025CD74C0CAE.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 1802 times
andynorth liked this
By Gary
I've had good luck with one Gubler I got at Lowe's. I got a Rocket Farms cube at the local Sprouts store, it had one mature vft and 6 babies in the pot. They all made it through dormancy and are putting on new growth.
By albertoburrito
How is the color on the rocket farms clones? Apparently they get really red and develop a red line on the outside of the traps
By ChefDean
I like Rocket Farms for their initial color, a nice red inside the trap, but it fades in sunlight to a nice blush. However, in each pot of theirs I've found at least half a dozen plants. Sometimes there's over a dozen, but they're small.
The Bug Biting Plants typically only have a single plant, but it's of size, and they have variations. I've gotten long, thin petioles, long cilia, red, sawtooth, big traps, and many more from them. My wife even checks them out and buys me one if she sees something she likes.
But my absolute favorite one is the one on sale. :mrgreen:
By Greenleaf_999
ChefDean wrote:I like Rocket Farms for their initial color, a nice red inside the trap, but it fades in sunlight to a nice blush. However, in each pot of theirs I've found at least half a dozen plants. Sometimes there's over a dozen, but they're small.
The Bug Biting Plants typically only have a single plant, but it's of size, and they have variations. I've gotten long, thin petioles, long cilia, red, sawtooth, big traps, and many more from them. My wife even checks them out and buys me one if she sees something she likes.
But my absolute favorite one is the one on sale. :mrgreen:
Sales are the best! Especially when Lowe’s knows that they are going to die because fall is around the corner and/or they put them on clearance because they need more room for other shipments. Ah, gotta love retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Intheswamp
When I first started tinkering with carnivorous plants I stopped at the Lowes store in Troy, Alabama. They had a couple of the little cardboard trays of flytraps that had been *badly* neglected, stuck in a dark corner and *if* watered it was probably from the end of the garden hose...some plants were already goner's, some plants had a spot of green on them, and some plants actually had two or three leaves still alive on them. I was a newbie and thought I might could get a deal on them and "rescue" them for rehab. I found the so-called manager and offered him a low-ball deal for the lot of them (seriously, their next trip was going to be the garbage bin). He declined my offer and told me that he could return the dead ones to the seller for credit. Seemed a bit far fetched to me, but I have seen the Bonnie Plant guys loading trays of dead vegetable seedlings onto their trucks that the business had killed so maybe the flytrap vendors do the same. Anyhow, after the fact and a little "growing" I was so happy he had turned me down. :mrgreen: Sometimes you get a deal, sometimes you don't, and sometimes the deal you get doesn't turn out to be a deal afterall. ;)
By andynorth
My first Flytraps ever were from Walmart. As with others, it was almost dead. brought it back to life and it flowered, producing viable seeds that fortunately produced a bunch of babies that are now in dormancy waiting for spring. The mother plant did not survive the birds. There were lots of little ones so hopefully they will come out strong in the spring.
By Greenleaf_999
andynorth wrote:My first Flytraps ever were from Walmart. As with others, it was almost dead. brought it back to life and it flowered, producing viable seeds that fortunately produced a bunch of babies that are now in dormancy waiting for spring. The mother plant did not survive the birds. There were lots of little ones so hopefully they will come out strong in the spring.
My first fly trap was from a website that o have no clue what happened to. I went to web archive and found out it got shut down and they went out of business. It was called mycarnivore.com I got the plant when I was young, it gave me an idea on how hard the plants really are for a child I was at the time, well. It died from horrible advice from my father telling me to "put the terrarium outside in the sunniest part of the house" that killed it, it went from really green, to really dead. I really wanted to get another and we would take family trips to Lowe’s when we were still doing modifications to our house, and my father purposely teased me and would bring me down the isle where they had fly traps, he would start showing me them, but would never get me one. Now I can buy my own, And I’m happy with that. I don’t need to be teased to be happy and I can have as many plants as I want.

andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Greenleaf_999 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:54 pm My first fly trap was from a website that o have no clue what happened to. I went to web archive and found out it got shut down and they went out of business. It was called mycarnivore.com I got the plant when I was young, it gave me an idea on how hard the plants really are for a child I was at the time, well. It died from horrible advice from my father telling me to "put the terrarium outside in the sunniest part of the house" that killed it, it went from really green, to really dead. I really wanted to get another and we would take family trips to Lowe’s when we were still doing modifications to our house, and my father purposely teased me and would bring me down the isle where they had fly traps, he would start showing me them, but would never get me one. Now I can buy my own, And I’m happy with that. I don’t need to be teased to be happy and I can have as many plants as I want.
I never even heard of them as a kid aside from The Little Shop Of Horrors movie. I got my first one when I was 59. I will be 62 in Jan. However, I am trying hard to make up for lost time. I have found a few that are difficult to grow so I just move on to others. I am currently collecting Sarrs, VFT's and Drosera. I hope to be able to get seed grown and tissue grown so I can have myself a killer garden/bog next to my yet to be finished pond. I have a Cobra Lily I want to try and propagate this next spring. I feel they are the Kings of the Sarrs world and absolutely love them. I had planned a trip to their home in Southern Oregon but things did not go as planned this year. Possibly will be going next year and if I do, I am also in to amateur photography so will take my Nikon camera and all my various lenses to get some quality shots. Enjoy your plants and this forum. There are some great people here.
By Greenleaf_999
andynorth wrote:
Greenleaf_999 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:54 pm My first fly trap was from a website that o have no clue what happened to. I went to web archive and found out it got shut down and they went out of business. It was called mycarnivore.com I got the plant when I was young, it gave me an idea on how hard the plants really are for a child I was at the time, well. It died from horrible advice from my father telling me to "put the terrarium outside in the sunniest part of the house" that killed it, it went from really green, to really dead. I really wanted to get another and we would take family trips to Lowe’s when we were still doing modifications to our house, and my father purposely teased me and would bring me down the isle where they had fly traps, he would start showing me them, but would never get me one. Now I can buy my own, And I’m happy with that. I don’t need to be teased to be happy and I can have as many plants as I want.
I never even heard of them as a kid aside from The Little Shop Of Horrors movie. I got my first one when I was 59. I will be 62 in Jan. However, I am trying hard to make up for lost time. I have found a few that are difficult to grow so I just move on to others. I am currently collecting Sarrs, VFT's and Drosera. I hope to be able to get seed grown and tissue grown so I can have myself a killer garden/bog next to my yet to be finished pond. I have a Cobra Lily I want to try and propagate this next spring. I feel they are the Kings of the Sarrs world and absolutely love them. I had planned a trip to their home in Southern Oregon but things did not go as planned this year. Possibly will be going next year and if I do, I am also in to amateur photography so will take my Nikon camera and all my various lenses to get some quality shots. Enjoy your plants and this forum. There are some great people here.
I agree! Image there are some great people, honestly better than Reddit in my opinion. Reddit is full of people who give you a hard time non stop.

By andynorth
Greenleaf_999 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:17 pm I agree! Image there are some great people, honestly better than Reddit in my opinion. Reddit is full of people who give you a hard time non stop.
Good to know. I am only a member here and just recently Terraforums. Not as much going on there and I do not like their stricter rules for their photo contests.
By Greenleaf_999
andynorth wrote:
Greenleaf_999 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:17 pm I agree! Image there are some great people, honestly better than Reddit in my opinion. Reddit is full of people who give you a hard time non stop.
Good to know. I am only a member here and just recently Terraforums. Not as much going on there and I do not like their stricter rules for their photo contests.
Eh, terraforums is getting outdated, I haven’t seen as many people coming in anymore. More and more people are pouring into flytrap care forums instead.

It’s nice that I can enjoy little things in life as a 20 year old.

You start figuring out little by little life isn’t easy. The economy isn’t doing great, even stores are raising prices, dollar tree ain’t dollar tree anymore. And I try to avoid police as much as possible. And stay home and grow my plants. And work when I’m called in to do stuff which is a buzz kill due to the fact everyone knows they ain’t getting paid, so they end up being rude. The customers act like they have no clue most of the time. And when I get home it’s a relief to sit outside until I get chewed up by a swarm of evening mosquitoes. I don’t think pesticides for mosquitoes work in Bay Area homes like mine. Mosquitoes start coming back in within 30 minutes of fogging everything, the yard, plants, under the deck, stairs, any other structure. I stay away from the "great" outdoors most of the time. It’s one thing I’ve learned to hate over time is having lots and lots of mosquitoes. My plant randomly closes… that’s because I saw a mosquito, then I didn’t, because it was in the trap that closed.

My closet for my plants stays at 72° at night and 80° during the day time.

By andynorth
Greenleaf_999 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:42 pm
andynorth wrote:
It’s nice that I can enjoy little things in life as a 20 year old.
When I was 20 I was in the Army. We wondered often if we were going to invade Iran. We should have. They are nothing but trouble now more so than back then.
Older and wiser now, I guess. This is my retirement hobby because they say to have something to do before retiring as all the traveling you could ever do will be done in 2 years or less. Just a few more short years and I am done working and will hopefully be able to enjoy myself. Out on disability right now but hoping to be back at work in February.
It's tough out there for sure. I was hoping to sell my house and buy a new one in AZ. when I retire but will need to be sure I get enough out of my house now to pay cash for my next home. My mortgage is currently less than $900.00 per month. Seattle area is pricey so I imagine it is not much better for you.
By Greenleaf_999
andynorth wrote:
Greenleaf_999 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:42 pm
andynorth wrote: When I was 20 I was in the Army. We wondered often if we were going to invade Iran. We should have. They are nothing but trouble now more so than back then.
Older and wiser now, I guess. This is my retirement hobby because they say to have something to do before retiring as all the traveling you could ever do will be done in 2 years or less. Just a few more short years and I am done working and will hopefully be able to enjoy myself. Out on disability right now but hoping to be back at work in February.
It's tough out there for sure. I was hoping to sell my house and buy a new one in AZ. when I retire but will need to be sure I get enough out of my house now to pay cash for my next home. My mortgage is currently less than $900.00 per month. Seattle area is pricey so I imagine it is not much better for you.
Nope! It’s not, the house is worth $650,000!

And we’re selling it soon.

I just got out of the hospital today, tired of seeing what life gives me.

Along with nurses not giving me meds for my pain.

andynorth liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!