FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By cclinton23
I planted these guys about 3 1/2 weeks ago from seeds that were given to me for free from a guy I bought plants from. He said that he had them for a while so they all may not grow. As luck would have it, tons have started to sprout. enough to start feeding them. I have some in peat and some in lfsm. Both seem to be doing okay so far. I was just wondering how long it normally takes for these guys to get big enough to start feeding them. Also how would you recommend going about feeding them? I have read about using beta food, mixing it with distilled water, and using a dropper to put a small amount on the carnivorous leaves. Does anyone have an advice about doing that? Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
20220706_144652.jpg
20220706_144652.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2939 times
20220706_144619.jpg
20220706_144619.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 2939 times
By Intheswamp
Those are looking good! They are pretty small to be feeding, though. I would think the only way to feed at this point would probably be a weak spray of Maxsea fertilizer. But, then you have to worry about algae kicking in high-gear and possibly overwhelming the seedlings. Maybe, for now, they just need good light? I'm just a newbie, though. I would wait until one of the experienced growers chime in before I tried to feed them. Nice crop of spats!!!
By cclinton23
Yeah they are way too small to feed. I can see them with the naked eye but not well enough to make sure I'm getting the food on the leaves. I know its probably going to be a little while but was just wondering at what size experienced growers begin to feed. I'm going to stay away from Maxsea for now. I have a little algae growth already but not enough to make a difference yet. Dont want to supercharge that stuff. They are under a yescom 225 white so hopefully that'll be all they need for now. Thanks for the reply.
By evenwind
There's been a lot of discussion on feeding tiny seedlings. Rather than repeat the gist here, try doing an advanced search for "syringe" or "hypodermic" and then a subsearch for "maxsea".

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!