FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Carnies
TrapsAndDews wrote:The cape seedlings about 2 1/2 months old:
Attachments:
IMG_048.JPG (193 KiB) Viewed 30 times
Yea, mine look like that too, they'll eventually get bigger within time.
By TrapsAndDews
I just don't get it. I saw my cousins sessilifolia seedlings (which germinate around the same time as mine), and they are way bigger than mine. My seedlings are receiving more light (they are very red), and yet, his are bigger. I thought more light equals more growth. Do you guys think that the lower light can make the seedlings grow larger, or is my cousin sprinkling some sort of secret powder on his seedlings?
By ChefDean
I believe you've asked been asked this before, and I'll give the same answer as last time, only expanded. (Maybe you didn't, but it has been asked many times before, in multiple variations on a theme)
Just light isn't the only factor. Temperature plays almost as big a part as light. Then you have to look at water uptake. Maybe your roots aren't in as great of contact, so they're taking up less water. Airflow can be an influence. Many plants grow bigger, faster in the presence of more air movement in order to resist moving. Also, your media composition is probably different. So, while it is probably a correct media, it's different enough, or may not be what the plant considers optimum. Seeds will also have their role. Age, self or cross, whatever genes may get expressed in those particular seeds, all have their say. Back to light, they're not all the same. In most instances, direct sunlight is best, then indirect sunlight, then artificial lighting (depending on the light), then windowsill, then back to artificial lighting (because they're not all the same, not intended for plants, old so the light intensity has dropped, too close, too far away, etc.)
You would have to have exactly the same conditions to expect exactly the same results. One factor, light, air, water, seeds, media, temperature, would only have to be slightly off (we're talking single percentage points) in order for your results to be drastically different.
However, yours are growing, so don't worry about them. Just enjoy them.
By TrapsAndDews
ChefDean wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:14 am I believe you've asked been asked this before,
That was about the capes. The light he is using is a fluorescent light. I'm using white 225 yescoms.

Would adding a fan help the seedlings grow faster?
By ChefDean
TrapsAndDews wrote:That was about the capes.
The same applies, they're both sub tropical, so would respond similarly.
TrapsAndDews wrote:Would adding a fan help the seedlings grow faster?
Probably not, because you're only changing one aspect of one factor of the five that came to my mind when replying. There are countless other factors that, by themselves, are insignificant. But, added up, they can be a big difference.
Like I said, if you are looking for the exact same results as someone else, you're going to have the exact same conditions for everything, meaning grow them literally side by side, sown in the same mixture of media. Even though you're only three miles apart, your conditions differ on numerous levels, so your results will not match his. I don't know any other way to explain it.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!