FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By killerplantcloset
HELP

I have a Drosera regia from California Carnivores. I received the plant around March of this year. I have some before and after pictures I am worried about. The plant did very well under my Mars Hydro 150 until last month. See pictures below. I fed it blood worms and it sure grabbed tons of gnats, as all my plants fed on them this spring.

I re-potted it about a week ago and noticed it was a bit water logged. I decided to just place it in a bigger pot with a small bit of media and let it drain. I watered it one more time after this and noticed the leaves would grow, but immediately die! They would start to wilt and were getting smaller. In the picture you can see that the leaves were very short. They were as long as 10 inches before. I took the plant out of the pot and dried out some of the media and remixed with some new moss and perlite/bark then placed it in an even larger orchid pot today.

Currently, The plant is sitting in a 8 " orchid pot with 1 pt. long fiber sphagnum moss, 1 pt. perlite and orchid bark. This is the "Nepenthes mix" from California Carnivores. I have since moved the plant to a south/east facing window here in Austin, TX that gets indirect sun for about 6-8 hrs a day. Our corpse flower grows well in this spot and I am hoping that these conditions will work for the king!

I am worried if the re potting is the issue for the small leaves or if the grow light has weakened the plant. I read on these forums that artificial lights prevent the plant from blooming and thriving.

will moving the plant to a new light source be a bad idea after re potting? I can no longer fit him in with my other plants.

There is always new growth from the center of the plant, but the leaves are getting smaller and smaller is this normal?

I know these plants tend to be hard to grow, but what are your guys thought on my set-up and new conditions? Any help is appreciated!

Before:
1.jpg
1.jpg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 12154 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 12154 times
After:
3.jpg
3.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 12154 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 12154 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (3.86 MiB) Viewed 12154 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 12154 times
By optimus prime
Or it could be the soil since it’s meant for Nepenthes and not drosera
By killerplantcloset
@optimus prime, It came in that same soil from California Carnivores. Is it really not good for the plant?
By optimus prime
Well I can be the judge of that. That was more of a guess then a fact. Like I said it could be firm repotting my vft produce smaller traps after I report them.when did you repot it?
By killerplantcloset
I placed it in a larger 4x4x5 pot two weeks ago, from it's original pot and that is when it started to decline. I removed it from that larger pot this morning. I noticed it was not draining very well and put it in the 8 inch pot about 2-3 hours ago.

My hope is that the even larger pot will help with the drainage, and makes it easier for me to control the watering.
By optimus prime
Yeah it was probably repotting then give it a week or two if it’s not better reach out again
killerplantcloset liked this
By killerplantcloset
optimus prime wrote:Yeah it was probably repotting then give it a week or two if it’s not better reach out again
Definitely! I will keep you updated. I think it is the re-potting too and possibly roots water logged. great to have a second opinion here! Thanks @optimus prime, !
optimus prime liked this
By optimus prime
Copper2 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 pm Regia likes to be in a very airy soil mix that isn’t waterlogged. Lots of perlite is your friend along with soil fertilization using osmocote
I knew it I have big brain
By killerplantcloset
Copper2 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 pm Regia likes to be in a very airy soil mix that isn’t waterlogged. Lots of perlite is your friend along with soil fertilization using osmocote
What about Maxsea? I have some osmocote pellets but it's the green bottle not the pink. I was thinking of mixing ups some Maxsea though.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!