FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By plantnerdjules
Very nice! Can you share info about your growing conditions please? And how long they took from seed to reach this stage?
By oval
These are a little over two years old. They were about a quarter of an inch in diameter for over a year, not seeming to grow at all. Indoors, outdoors - nothing. Then I put them inside on a south-facing windowsill (I'm in Florida, northern hemisphere), put the top of a 2-liter plastic bottle (no cap) over the pot for humidity and they started growing. I checked today and it is about 90 degrees between the curtain and the window when the sun is shining.

Apparently there are some that love lowland temps and some that love highland temps - mine must be of lowland origin.
plantnerdjules liked this
By NightRaider
oval wrote: They were about a quarter of an inch in diameter for over a year, not seeming to grow at all.
I have one in exactly the same situation, almost the same size and hasn't grown any nor died back since I got it way back in early spring. I've had it in with my highland stuff this whole time, but I may need to toss it in my lowland chamber now and see if that does anything.
oval liked this
By oval
NightRaider wrote:I have one in exactly the same situation, almost the same size and hasn't grown any nor died back since I got it way back in early spring. I've had it in with my highland stuff this whole time, but I may need to toss it in my lowland chamber now and see if that does anything.
If it was from the seed back a few years ago then it's probably a sibling of mine, so it might benefit from the lowland conditions.
By plantnerdjules
oval wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:55 pm ...
Apparently there are some that love lowland temps and some that love highland temps - mine must be of lowland origin.
Thanks @oval for the details. I have tropical lowland conditions (no chance of highland temps!) and I'd love to try Drosera neocalidonica. Any tips on where to get seeds of the same origin as yours?
By oval
Mine were from the seed bank here at FTC forums. I'm not sure who donated them, but they might be able to tell you where they came from. If these ever flower... but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.
By Apollyon
Interesting stuff, I like the way those look. Sometimes seedlings just sputter too. Then one day they just get to work. Nice job!
oval liked this

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!