FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I met a kind person online who shipped me four Dork's Pink gemmae for free, and I've been trying to grow them with no success.

I received them in the mail a few weeks ago, and put them on the surface of a 50/50 mix of perlite and peat moss, then put them 9 inches under my Yescom 225 growlights. At first, it looked like they were starting to grow, but as the weeks have passed it looks like the gemmae are failing.

I mist them every day with a little distilled water on the surface.

I've included some pictures below. Do they still look like they'll make it, or is this a failure?

Not sure what I did wrong. Is the strike rate just low for these? Were they damaged during shipping due to the cold? Did I mist them too frequently? Too much/too little light?

A few days ago one looked like this:

Now they look like this:

By NightRaider
Personally I always mist mine one time when I place them in the pot, sit the pot in a small amount of water and then just cover with saran wrap (slightly loosely to let out heat) for a couple weeks until I start seeing leaves. Never had any issues doing it that way. I also prefer using peat/sand rather than perlite for pygmies since it makes for a much more uniform substrate at small scales. Honestly if I had to guess personally I'd say it looks like they may have just rotted from getting misted so often and being placed on a spot of pure peat. Your soil looks a *lot* wetter than I keep mine, at least.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
NightRaider wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:42 pm Personally I always mist mine one time when I place them in the pot, sit the pot in a small amount of water and then just cover with saran wrap (slightly loosely to let out heat) for a couple weeks until I start seeing leaves. Never had any issues doing it that way. I also prefer using peat/sand rather than perlite for pygmies since it makes for a much more uniform substrate at small scales. Honestly if I had to guess personally I'd say it looks like they may have just rotted from getting misted so often and being placed on a spot of pure peat. Your soil looks a *lot* wetter than I keep mine, at least.
Ahhhh, gotcha. Damn, yeah, you might be right. I should have wrapped it instead of misting it. I just have it otherwise sitting in a small tray of water as well.

I'll know for next time, at least!
By ChefDean
Green = life (usually).
While my gemmae experience is limited, I have had many gemmae sprout on peat/perlite without a problem. I've done better on LFSM, but that's gotten expensive.
My suggestion would be to leave them be until they sprout (I've had them take a couple of months), or until they can no longer be seen (one may be already close to that point).
Nikson liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!