FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By LF42
Hi, i have some Drosera Capensis seeds and i was wondering if i'm not too late to germinate them during this summer?
I'm kinda impatient and don't want to wait until next spring to put them on the soil.
Is it ok if the seedlings goes dormant during winter? It won't perturbe the plants season cycle?
By Bluefire
Capensis doesn’t have a dormancy. It shouldn’t matter what time of the year you sow it, so long as it’s warm and bright - which you can probably achieve with grow lights indoors.

However, I have yet to grow any carnivores from seed so I can’t offer personal experience.
By Camden
Bluefire wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:41 pm Capensis doesn’t have a dormancy. It shouldn’t matter what time of the year you sow it, so long as it’s warm and bright - which you can probably achieve with grow lights indoors.

However, I have yet to grow any carnivores from seed so I can’t offer personal experience.
Yup👍
By LF42
Bluefire wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:41 pm Capensis doesn’t have a dormancy. It shouldn’t matter what time of the year you sow it, so long as it’s warm and bright - which you can probably achieve with grow lights indoors.

Nice thank you. I don't have grow lights and can't grow the plants indoors, i grow them outside.
I guess i can put the seeds in the media right now !
By ChefDean
Camden M wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:47 pm Well, Cape’s can handle a light dormancy of 50F for a while so I’m sure if you put it in a garage or something like that during the winter, you’d be fine.
They can handle cooler temps for a while, but they don't go dormant. Not even a light dormancy. If you put it in a garage over winter it will likely die.
On the other hand, many Capes do not like temps over 85°F, and will stall out and look ratty for a while until they grow back out.
You can easily germinate Capes and grow them on a sunny windowsill. Room temps are fine for them.
By Camden
Yes, I would listen to chef. I’m only basing this of my own experience and could be different in your area. Last year I put a cape in the garage, it did die back a bit but it came back and actually, this is its first year flowering. Idk, I’m also the person who grows a N. Hamata with only a drop down to 65F during the night and it’s doing just fine soo :lol:
ChefDean, Bluefire liked this
By Bluefire
Camden M wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:20 pm Idk, I’m also the person who grows a N. Hamata with only a drop down to 65F during the night and it’s doing just fine soo :lol:
My hamata also lives in this boat.
Camden liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!