FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Brokechef1
I just picked these up from a nursery yesterday. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have the i.d on the plastic picks but they looked too good to pass up. I'm pretty sure the Sarr is a Bug Bat but the Drosera is baffling. I looked up the rotunda and it looked pretty similar but reading some of the posts and seeing the pics along with them is what is confusing me.

If I may double dip I wanted to know if either of these will outgrow their pots during the growing season. I won't re-pot unit later but I just would like to be ready.
Attachments:
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 18153 times
Last edited by Brokechef1 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Brokechef1
I'm already embarrassed. I meant Sarr.
By Brokechef1
Copper2 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:20 pm Maybe a leuco and Tolkien’s Sundew?
Wow! I think you're right on! I just looked it up and I live in Worcester County MA! Kinda excited to have a sub-species that was discovered this past summer. Also means it can take New England weather . Thanks Copper!
By Brokechef1
I think Copper got the id for the sundew but what about the Sarr and how about re-potting it?
By jpappy789
I assume “Tolkien’s Sundew” refers to D. x tokaiensis? I’ve never heard of it referred to as such.

In any case, I agree it’s likely that or something in the spatulata complex. Those are pretty common in nurseries, and the latter tend to be misIDed tokaiensis anyways.

I’m also not sure what reference you were looking at, but there shouldn’t be any tokaiensis in MA. One of its parents, D. rotundifolia is native there, but these hybrids are only found where it overlaps with spatulata in east Asia. Possible there are naturalized ones (they spread everywhere) but they tend to be subtropical in nature, and doubt they would survive through a MA winter. You can grow them outside for parts of the year, but I’d bring them inside when it gets freezing. Or just grow them inside.
By Brokechef1
jpappy789 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:18 pm I assume “Tolkien’s Sundew” refers to D. x tokaiensis? I’ve never heard of it referred to as such.

In any case, I agree it’s likely that or something in the spatulata complex. Those are pretty common in nurseries, and the latter tend to be misIDed tokaiensis anyways.

I’m also not sure what reference you were looking at, but there shouldn’t be any tokaiensis in MA. One of its parents, D. rotundifolia is native there, but these hybrids are only found where it overlaps with spatulata in east Asia. Possible there are naturalized ones (they spread everywhere) but they tend to be subtropical in nature, and doubt they would survive through a MA winter. You can grow them outside for parts of the year, but I’d bring them inside when it gets freezing. Or just grow them inside.
You are correct about where the drosera comes from. I read something about finding a new species in Worcester County. Just didn't realize there's also one in Maryland. Do you know about the Sarr?
By Copper2
jpappy789 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:18 pm I assume “Tolkien’s Sundew” refers to D. x tokaiensis? I’ve never heard of it referred to as such.
Yes, Tolkien’s Sundew is a common name for tokaiensis. I have no idea what the OP guy is talking about a local species in Maryland
By Copper2
jpappy789 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:25 am No offense, but that's basically just a made up common name. Tokai is a region in Japan.
Yeah, so is the name bucketmouth which is another name for a largemouth bass (which someone also made up!). Tolkien’s Sundew is the only common name for it that I’ve heard though
By Brokechef1
Do you mind that we don't argue? The I'll take the I.D of the sundew as is. What about the Sarr?
By Nepenthes0260
Yeah, I'm sure the dew is tokaiensis or spatulata, something around there.

The sarr is definitely a hybrid. It looks to have some leuco in it, but that's about all I can say for sure. Maybe a light-starved Judith Hindle? A better pic would help.
Last edited by Nepenthes0260 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Brokechef1
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 pm Yeah, I'm sure the dew is Tokaiensis or spathulata, something around there.

The sarr is definitely a hybrid. It looks to have some leuco in it, but that's about all I can say for sure. Maybe a light-starved Judith Hindle? A better pic would help.
Ok. Thanks. I will get a better pic tonight.
By Copper2
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:43 pm Yeah, I'm sure the dew is Tokaiensis or spathulata, something around there.

It’s Tolkien’s Sundew!!!! :x :evil:

:lol:
By 7-ate-9
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but what is the source of this common name?
I've been trying to research common names for this species; I've found "Tokai Sundew" used on a single facebook post and then "Tolkien's Sundew" used exclusively by Copper2 in this forum with no explanation of its origin haha. Considering it's such a popular species I'm surprised nothing is more established!

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!