FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions and share knowledge about cameras and photographic technique

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
I'm wondering if another advantage of going with a DSLR over something like the G11 or G12 is the ISO. Would you get the same image at ISO400 on a DSLR than you would get on 100 on a G11.
By PeatMoss
Baisically,

The difference between a DSLR and a high quality fixed lens point and shoot is that the DSLR gives you more advanced photographic capabilities.

DSLR also have larger/better image sensors so even if a DSLR and a point and shoot have equal megapixels, the DSLR will always produce a higher quality image.

A DSLR allows you to change lenses for a myriad of different things, you can do wide angle, macro, zoom, portrait. All with the same camera. But you have to buy extra lenses which usually cost between 300 and 400 dollars.

A point and shoot will try to reproduce all of these capabilities, but it will never be able to do it truly well, whereas a DSLR can.

Also consider this, if you are planning to shoot macros of your plants. A true macro is the reproduction of an object at a 1 to 1 ratio.

Many "macro" settings on point and shoot cameras will only reproduce an object at a 1 to 4 ratio, which shows the object at normal size if it is printed out at the normal print size.

I am not telling you what to buy, just recommending that you look around a lot before you buy anything.

There are many new camera technologies coming onto the market that you may also want to explore. Consider looking around at companies other than Canon.
PeatMoss liked this
By Adam
Thanks!

The G11 seems to even give me bracketing. I'm not sure what more "advanced photographic capabilities" would be? ( I shoot in manual mode and adjust aperture, shutter speed, ISO and sometimes focus )

Interesting about macro... I found my old elf was almost like a microscope.

Have you seen the G1 X ? The sensor is larger but you don't get the bulk of a DSLR. Also the G1 X and the S100 have new types of sensors with much better quality.
By PeatMoss
No, I have not seen them, they sound very nice though. I believe that the new trend is mirror less sensor technology. Don't know what it means though. I know someone on another forum who uses one and his photos are nice.

I suggest you go to a store that specializes in cameras and try out a bunch of different ones. If you have never tried a dslr with a macro lens on it you should.

I actually forgot to ask what you plan on using the camera for? That is probably what matters most.
PeatMoss liked this
By Adam
I'm guessing I'll have to justify the bulk by whether the picture quality jumps enough for me and the types of pictures I take...

DSLRs are so expensive and now there is this new way of getting the quality higher. Not sure if I can pull he trigger just yet.

Other issue: Concerts and sporting events don't allow DSLRs. However, I've never received grief about the G11 and I'm sure the G1X would be allowed too.
By PeatMoss
Yeah, DSLR's are quite expensive plus there are many accessories you can/must buy. You should check out if there is a jump in photo quality from the camera you have now and the one you want to buy.
PeatMoss liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!