FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Hey everyone,

I'm currently sowing my D. filiformis filiformis seeds I got from the seed bank the other day and I'm not sure if I should give them stratification or not. I've heard it helps germination rates, but I'm not sure if that's true. I know they don't need stratification as filiformis filiformis is under tier 0, but does it help germination rates to give them stratification? Thanks for any help!
By Sundews69
TrapsAndDews wrote:I put my intermedia seeds in tubes filled with water. Then, I put them in the fridge for two months. Now, I have taken them out and I see germination. :)
Oh, that's an interesting way to do it. I'll need to try that!
By Shadowtski
Sundews69 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:35 pm Ok, I'll put them in stratification. Do they need light or can I just place them in a fridge in a bag?
Most Drosera filiformis appreciate stratification to germinate.
The one exception is D. filiformis "Floridana", the Red Florida variety.
They do not need light while stratifying, just moisture and cold.
1) One technique is to plant the seeds on top of a damp peatmoss mix, put the pot in a Ziploc bag in the fridge for 4 to 8 weeks.
2) Some growers sprinkle the seeds on a dampish paper towel, roll it up and put it in a Ziploc bag in the fridge for 4 to 8 weeks.
3) You can also scatter the seeds over a pot filled with damp peatmoss mix , put the pot in a Ziploc bag and put it outside in the shade for 4 to 8 weeks.
4) A final choice is to put your seeds in a test tube, half filled with distilled water and cork it. Put it in the fridge for 4 to 8 weeks. I pull the cork and shake it once a day for a few seconds to keep the water aerated.

If you skip stratification you, may get a few seeds germinating or many seeds sprouting. It depends on freshness of seeds and your growing conditions. Stratifying them gives you improved, consistent results.

As always, just my 02¢ worth.
By Sundews69
Wow, that was very detailed! Thank you for your help! About the fourth method with the test tube, do you then place the seeds on soil after the 4-8 weeks of stratification? (also, If you didn't noticed, I PMed you a question about some sarrs)
By Shadowtski
Sundews69 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:59 pm About the fourth method with the test tube, do you then place the seeds on soil after the 4-8 weeks of stratification? (also, If you didn't noticed, I PMed you a question about some sarrs)
After 4-8 weeks of strat, I put the test tubes under bright LEDs.
I check them every day with a good 10x magnifier.
I wait until I see them sprout, then I dump the test tube out into a Petri Dish or soup bowl.
I use an eyedropper to schluurpp up the sprouted seeds and deposit them exactly where I want in the pot.
BTW, I checked and there are no PMs in my Inbox.
Try sending it again.
By Sundews69
I'm still very much a noob when it comes to stratification. Is the 45-55 degree temps in my basement good enough? Will I see germination after stratification or during stratification?
By Shadowtski
Sundews69 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:37 pm I'm still very much a noob when it comes to stratification. Is the 45-55 degree temps in my basement good enough? Will I see germination after stratification or during stratification?
That's a little warm for Winter stratification.

Try an experiment.
Split your seeds into two test tubes.
Put one in the fridge, put one in the coldest corner of your basement.
Compare germination results 6 weeks after you take the test tubes out of the cold areas.

Most of my test Drosera temperate species germinated about 3 weeks after stratification finished.
By TrapsAndDews
Shadowtski wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:45 pm Most of my test Drosera temperate species germinated about 3 weeks after stratification finished.
Really? My seeds must've been fresh then, because they germinated within less than a week.
By Sundews69
Shadowtski wrote:
Sundews69 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:37 pm I'm still very much a noob when it comes to stratification. Is the 45-55 degree temps in my basement good enough? Will I see germination after stratification or during stratification?
That's a little warm for Winter stratification.

Try an experiment.
Split your seeds into two test tubes.
Put one in the fridge, put one in the coldest corner of your basement.
Compare germination results 6 weeks after you take the test tubes out of the cold areas.

Most of my test Drosera temperate species germinated about 3 weeks after stratification finished.
Yeah, I'll do that. I'm gonna split the seeds into fourths. I'll take two test tubes and put one in the fridge and the other in the basement. The I'll take that two remaining quarters and put them into pots. One pot will go in the fridge and the other in the basement. With spring right around the corner, I'm worried it will get too warm so I may have to cancel the experiment.
By wcrosman
I am wondering if it is possible to have too cold a temperature for stratification of the same seeds?

Mine went a bit below freezing (20f ish) for a couple of days. I stratified them for 4 weeks and they have been planted correctly for 4 weeks with no sprouting. Thus my quetion.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!