FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Panman wrote:Oh, I totally understand. That is where I started. After my containers started breaking down after a season because of UV sunlight, I started to transition to square pots. Now I can cram more plants into the space that I have. I've even found some large square containers for my larger pitcher plants. Granted, they are repurposed horse supplement containers, but they seem to hold up well to the UV light and they fit together nicely.
I've seen some livestock supplement containers but most of them have been round. I'll keep my eyes open for round ones. I do have a large black rectangular container that I used for mixing cement in. I've used it for everything else, too, washing dogs, washing this-and-that , just about everything. It's been outside for probably 15 years and is still holding up well. I got it at Lowes and it seems like back then it was less than $15...probably $30 now! :x I'll keep my eyes open for the larger containers...hopefully I'll be needing them!! :D
By Intheswamp
My wife eyeballed a roasted-rear chicken yesterday evening at Costco. The nice clear humidity dome with included germination tray was definitely a selling point for me!!! :lol:

(I love bbq chicken sandwiches made from these, too!!!! :mrgreen: )
Attachments:
IMG_8129 (Custom).JPG
IMG_8129 (Custom).JPG (285.59 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Camden liked this
By Intheswamp
Sadly, the Costco chicken wasn't that good...we'll be sticking with our local "Ramey's" grocery store roasted-rear chicken (lemon pepper). The sad part is that the local store's chicken doesn't have that nifty humidity chamber as a bonus...but, my taste buds rule!!!!! :mrgreen:

Here is a salad (cobb ;) ) container from Chic-fil-A. Chic-fil-A has good salads, btw! Shallow top is 1-1/4" deep with vent holes in the corners. Deeper bottom is 2" deep, no vent holes. Widest point is around 7-3/4" wide. Might make some nice humidity domes, a complete germination setup, or maybe a humidity dome and a water tray.
Attachments:
IMG_8639pp (Custom).jpg
IMG_8639pp (Custom).jpg (367.75 KiB) Viewed 844 times
By Intheswamp
Here's a shot of the Costco roasted-rear chicken container. Roughly 6-1/2"x9"...bottom is 1-1/2" deep while the clear top is 3"...that should give me an inside height of around 4-1/2". I should be able to get at least four of my small 3" deep pots in it or either a six or maybe an eight pack. It's a shame the chicken wasn't that good, I could use a couple more of these! :lol:
Attachments:
IMG_8640 (Custom).JPG
IMG_8640 (Custom).JPG (573.29 KiB) Viewed 841 times
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!