FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By BigFlyTrap
Hi all

I am from Canada and love this forum.
I heard a cultavire named Colorado Hardy. It is claim that it can survive brutal winter down to 17F. Is this true? Has anyone heard of this cultavire?

Cheers
BFT
By ChefDean
California Carnivores has seeds listed as "Colorado Hardy". But VFT's don't grow cultivars from seed, so they could end up being anything. Plus, I don't know if they ship to Canada.
By Dragonslayer126
ChefDean wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:56 am California Carnivores has seeds listed as "Colorado Hardy". But VFT's don't grow cultivars from seed, so they could end up being anything. Plus, I don't know if they ship to Canada.
California carnivorous ships seeds nationally besides Australia I think
ChefDean liked this
By MikeB
"Colorado Hardy" sounds a lot like this:

Dionaea muscipula Typical from Dan Winter Via Northrop Carnivorous Plants
This Venus flytrap has a story! These were wild-collected back in the 60s-70s by Northrop Carnivorous Plants, then grown "in the wild" in Mississippi on Dan Winters' property for years where they naturalized and reproduced on their own. When Dan moved to Colorado, he brought a couple hundred plants with him and would bring more over the years every time he went back to his property. Those plants were then planted outdoors in Colorado and grown with minimal protection during the winter. Dan was convinced after growing them outdoors for years the more cold-hardy plants were the ones that survived and reproduced.
By Huntsmanshorn
I don't know about the "Colorado Hardy" plants, but Dan Winter's plants can go to 17 Fahrenheit and live, or at least mine do.
MikeB liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!