FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By skitch23
I live in Arizona where it rarely rains but last night happened to be an exception so I was scrambling trying to collect some of the liquid gold falling from the sky. I carried my plants out to the middle of the yard so they could get a fresh drink and put a few bowls out, and then placed a couple buckets where I'd get runoff from the roof (I waited about 10-15 mins for the roof to get washed off before collecting anything).

My TDS meter showed 35-40ppm for the "plain" rain water collected in the freestanding bowls. And the roof runoff water was 55-75ppm. Would it just be as simple as diluting the roof water with some distilled (or low ppm RO) water to get it down around 35ppm to use on my CP's? I have an entry-level VFT, Sundew & Sarracenia. Or would you run the roof water thru one of those zerowater filters instead? I'm not sure what potential chemicals would be in the roof water since I have a tile roof, no shingles. My parents have some pool test strips that I could use, but I don't know what I'd need to look for. The water itself is pretty yellow, but from what I've read elsewhere that seems to be normal because of pollen and other stuff in the air. My plants have only ever had distilled water since I brought them home.
By Sundews69
Yes, if you dilute it it would be fine. Water from the roof should be safe for your plants as long as it has a ppm lower than 50. I personally wouldn't do anything above 35-40 ppm either but it should be fine. If you want to be extra safe, use water from the roof on the sundew. Before doing so, take a cutting or two from the sundew just to make sure if it doesn't respond well, you can still have some way to get your plant back.
skitch23 liked this
By Bluefire
I have had the same problem. It's probably due to things building up on the roof when it's not raining. After enough rain, the water does get better. But still, it can't compare to distilled water.
skitch23, Sundews69 liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!