FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Doesn't clay have minerals in it?

https://www.britannica.com/science/clay-mineral
"Clay minerals are composed essentially of silica, alumina or magnesia or both, and water, but iron substitutes for aluminum and magnesium in varying degrees, and appreciable quantities of potassium, sodium, and calcium are frequently present as well."
By Sundews69
I have used Leca (expanded clay balls) for cps and it went fine. This looks different but maybe it would still work
By Intheswamp
Interesting, some places state that the clay balls (hydroton or "Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate"(LECA) does not leach minerals, has a neutral pH7.0, and is used in terrariums and vivariums. https://bantam.earth/hydroton-expanded-clay-pebbles/

I dunno... It sounds good. Maybe try it on a plant or two and see how it works before committing whole-hawg?
By Sundews69
Yeah, I had it mixed in my potting mix when I first started with CPs. It was in a binata's pot but it got to cold so it died and I stopped using Leca because it is kinda expensive to use in potting mix. Now I use it in trays which I set my plants in to raise the humidity around them. I also have a giant boot tray on the bottom on my shelves with no plants that I filled with Leca and tap water. Basically what I'm trying to say is Leca is safe for CPs and is good at raising humidity.
Intheswamp liked this
By optique
depends on the make up of the clay. rinse then soak them and do a ph and tds test of the water.
Intheswamp liked this

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!